Sams transfer wax

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Does someone have a few clear pictures of the contrast it makes on the item to be engraved? I have searched this topic and get lost in all the other ways someone uses to draw directly on an item. Is this wax something that is drawn on top of like Chineese White or drawn through with a pick of some kind?
Something else I'm looking at doing is taking a drawing I have done in pencil and transfer that pencil drawing to what I'm wanting to engrave. I have been able to lift some of the pencil with tape but not gotten it to transfer to the metal I'm wanting to engrave.
I understand there are chemical options to transfer inkjet and laser prints to the engraved items but I'm just not a computer guy so trying to develop my drawing skills and be able to transfer things from pencil.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Ya Carlos I had ran across those during my search neither of them answer my questions. I always spend a few hours on search before I ask any questions on this forum. Mr Dubber shows taking a lift from something already cut. I did see Sams video on lettering and it at least appears to show him writing on top of the wax. Surely someone here uses the product and can explain in detail how to use it and show a few pics.
If I have missed something in either link about transfering pencil drawings to the item to be engraved please let me know.

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good old carbon paper still works. Locate your artwork on the object and tape one edge of it so it doesn't move. Then slide a piece of carbon paper underneath it. Go over your drawing with a fine pencil and it will be transferred. If you want to draw directly on your item, or make a carbon transfer that shows up better, go to Autozone and pick up a can of cheap, lacquer based auto primer. Hold it about a foot from your object and dust on a very light coat. You don't have to totally cover it. Easily removed when done with lacquer thinner or acetone. I use a product similar to the Saral assortment offered here, but can't find it.

https://www.artsuppliesonline.com/catalog.cfm?cata_id=2524

Addendum: the above product sampler is sold at
•Michaels Stores, Inc.
•Hobby Lobby stores
•Jerry's Artarama
•Pearl Art & Craft stores
•Art Supply Warehouse
•Utrecht
•Dick Blick stores
•Jo Ann's Fabric stores
•House of China

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
what dont you do it like Dubber does it, draw directly on a flat metal surface, then save that to then make a transfer to any item of your future choosing, Ive heard of several engravers having precut plates or files from where they get their transfers from

i use modeling clay, black in color, when I want to draw directly on the metal it is possible you do get some lead on to the metal but it Smears very easily so basically if I do it I only draw my main back bones and mainlines using that method, you can then scribe the lines you drew so they won't smear as easy with your Palm your thumb.

Dave has what your looking for.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I like Mike Bubber's ways with transfers it's very simpler with just chap stick and powered graphite and Scotch tape, It works for me. J.J.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another trick for you: take your pencil drawing and put it face down on a lightbox (or against a window).
Trace over your drawing with a nice, soft lead pencil.
Take some modeling clay and daub it over your metal surface.
Place your drawing face up on the metal and burnish along your lines.
Some of the graphite from the pencil lines on the back will transfer on to the metal.

Any time you draw (with a pencil) through wax or other surface treatment it is very easily wiped off. You can use a scriber to go over the lines to make them more durable. It's often considered best to use a scriber that's been polished to be more of a very fine pointed burnisher - that gives you a line that can be easily removed vs. the scratch into the metal a normal scribing point leaves.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Spend YEARS and HUNDRED$ on getting the perfect transfer,or

LEARN TO DRAW A SIMPLE PATTERN :beatup:,for the cost of a pencil, eraser and paper.

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Ya even though my drawing skills aren't very good I have been drawing every day to make them better. As everyone here knows drawing directly onto your item has a different feel than drawing on paper. I have been drawing in a notebook each day and thought if I could just transfer the drawings I was happy with to a practice plate instead on trying to redraw that would be nice. I'll try a few of the methods offered here and she how it goes.
I have tried Mr Dubbers transfer method for something already cut and it has worked great! I have also tried a smoke pull and had that work onto the tape but needed to prep the surface of the tiem to be engraved in order to transfer from the tape to the item.
Thank you for all the replys and help along the way.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member

Sponsors