Damascus transfer wax for engravers

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm not sure how old this is but judging by the milk glass container I'd say it must be 75 years old or maybe older. I'm amazed that it's unbroken and that the paper label is still intact! I've never seen one before and it's a nice little addition to my antique engraving tool collection.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam,That jar is in nice condition and with the label sill intact,I collect old gun power tins and the labels must be pristine or there not going in my man cave. J.J.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's nice. My grandfather used to use that stuf, although I think he made his own. I believe it just has rouge in the wax compound. I never got a chance to ask him what his recipe was, but I distinctly remember seeing his little containers with it.

He used to use a sheet of Mylar film to make the wax pull. Then he'd wipe it off clean and repeatedly use it over. As a jewelry engraver for Samuel Kirk and Sons, he did a ton of lettering on silverware.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I guess the rouge is to give a little color. I've colored it myself but i apply it so thin that it didn't make much of a difference. Maybe I overlooked something.

I haven't tried this antique stuff yet.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I was using a fluorescent light it was very difficult to see a wax transfer. With an led light it's much easier. I think the rouge could be very helpful in the right lighting. I'd certainly give it a go if there's was some commercially available. I'm not really interested in making up my own concoction.

Sam, Might be something to consider adding to your wax

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was going to ask if you'd given it a try yet.

I made my own Hobo Nickel Finishing wax following Mr. The's recipe. In his video his is uncolored. The grit I used for mine is reddish brown so mine looks a lot like the antique wax you have. I might have to try it for drawing. It's intended use is as a step in finishing a hobo nickel where the grit helps smooth and age the nickel.

monk

Staff member
sam sold off all his balding wax. he simply bought this to maintain the "sheen".

monk

Staff member
I guess the rouge is to give a little color. I've colored it myself but i apply it so thin that it didn't make much of a difference. Maybe I overlooked something.

I haven't tried this antique stuff yet.
i made a sorrowful attempt to duplicate mike dubbers wax. i ended using windsor-newton black, as well as chap stick. unfortunately i bought 20 tubes of medicated chapstick. stank like hell cookin it in the microwave. to me the pigment makes it a bit easier to properly orient a design when using clear transfer (packing) tape. as far as just applying direct to the metal, it's no different than your formula you sell.