Help, please: colt officers model

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I'm attempting to refinish and engrave a colt officers model. The frame and slide seem to have a black finish that is not blueing. The same finish is on a paraordnance 9mm I have. My question is what is it and how do I git it off. Is hand sanding my only option or is there chemical that will help.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Can you post some clear pictures, is it parkerized? Black oxide?

But it being the same finish as a para, ive seen its probably parkerized. Hydrochloric Acid should take it off, its found in several items and strenghs, Brownells blue remover, naval jelly, some toilet bowl cleaners. Dont forget to neutralize it in a mixture of arm and hammer with water, then a good soak of wd40 to diaplace the water or it can flash rust, second dont leave it in the solution to long or you'll have a french grey finish. Hope this helps.

There is more info here onnthe forum, thats how I learned about it, and Gerry also helped when I had questions.

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
It sounds to be one of the new "super coatings". Cerakote is one of them for example. Pull off the slide and see if you can scratch thru the finish w/ a knife (where it won't show). If yes, then you should be able to use Carlos' option. If the blade slides (not scratching thru) then you've got one of the new coatings. You're down to blasting then sanding smooth to remove the coating. The new generation of pistols is going to this material because it's quick to apply, provides good wear resistance, and it hides a lot (minimal finish work required). You can also use it to finish a steel slide and aluminum frame and get them to be the exact same color...like tan, black or my favorite, pink ;-)

Dan

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do colts all the time. If it is a factory finish, the brownells blue and rust remover works well for me. Aftermarket finish? Your guess is as good as mine...

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
here is the slide, I tried blue/rust remover on the frame and think i heard it laugh at me....glass bead blast it? then hand polish to 1200? the frame i mean. I think it has the teflon coating on it.

Attachments

• coltsyder-5.jpg
    coltsyder-5.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 137