a ton of people

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
have been asking for this. i finally figured out how to do it. the flare cut fotos were posted some time ago by c roger bleile. if you want to learn flare, take a serious look at rogers" work. somebody else can (please)
send these to the archive.

Attachments

• TRANS5.jpg
    TRANS5.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 445
  • TRANS10.jpg
    TRANS10.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 443
  • TRANVAR2.jpg
    TRANVAR2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 440
  • TRANS11.jpg
    TRANS11.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 438
  • TRANS8.jpg
    TRANS8.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 446
  • TRANVAR.jpg
    TRANVAR.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 447
  • TRANS4.jpg
    TRANS4.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 444
  • TRANS12.jpg
    TRANS12.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 438
  • TRANS3.jpg
    TRANS3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 439
  • TRANS9.jpg
    TRANS9.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 442
  • TRANVAR3.jpg
    TRANVAR3.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 437
  • TRANS.jpg
    TRANS.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 435
  • TRANS7.jpg
    TRANS7.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 435
  • TRANS2.jpg
    TRANS2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 435
  • TRANVAR1.jpg
    TRANVAR1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 435
  • TRANS6.jpg
    TRANS6.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 433
  • TRANS1.jpg
    TRANS1.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 431
  • BRT CUT10.jpg
    BRT CUT10.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 432
  • BRT CUT5.jpg
    BRT CUT5.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 435
  • BRT CUT11.jpg
    BRT CUT11.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 433
  • BRT CUT8.jpg
    BRT CUT8.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 435
  • BRT CUT4.jpg
    BRT CUT4.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 434
  • BRT CUT12.jpg
    BRT CUT12.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 435
  • BRT CUT3.jpg
    BRT CUT3.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 433
  • BRT CUT9.jpg
    BRT CUT9.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 429
  • BRT CUT.jpg
    BRT CUT.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 429
  • BRT CUT7.jpg
    BRT CUT7.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 429
  • BRT CUT2.jpg
    BRT CUT2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 428
  • BRT CUT6.jpg
    BRT CUT6.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 429
  • BRT CUT1.jpg
    BRT CUT1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 436

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
I bought Rogers templates and studied very carefully his tutorials...For some odd reason my cuts don't look like Rogers....Who would of thought??
I really do admire Rogers sculpturing, I never have figured out how he can get his outward curves so smooth using a flat as in his tutorial on sculpting....I finally got mad and ground a reverse curve in the bottom of a scraper, polished it out and really worked nice on the sculpting curves....

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
<"ground a reverse curve in the bottom of a scraper, polished it out and really worked nice on the sculpting curves....">

Ummm... no matter how I look at those words, I can't get a picture to form in my brain that I could conceive of as functional.

Did you by chance mean "scorper" instead of scraper? And "'reverse curve" - reversed from what?

An image or sketch might help? But then again, it might be that you could patent it - and it's a secret?

Brian

monk

Staff member
I bought Rogers templates and studied very carefully his tutorials...For some odd reason my cuts don't look like Rogers....Who would of thought??
I really do admire Rogers sculpturing, I never have figured out how he can get his outward curves so smooth using a flat as in his tutorial on sculpting....I finally got mad and ground a reverse curve in the bottom of a scraper, polished it out and really worked nice on the sculpting curves....
TO THIS DAY, my favorite buckle amongst the many posted on the forum was done by roger. check it out. it's in the archive.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lonestar,

The templates and sculpting tutorial are from my brother, Carl.

For some of you who haven't been around gun engravers too long it might help for me to clear up any confusion between my brother and myself. My brother is Carl B. (Boyd) Bleile and I am C. (Charles) Roger Bleile. The confusion comes from both of us having the same first initial and , of course, both of us being engravers. In fact, starting with my grandfather, just about everyone in my line has the same first initial including my wife and daughter.

monk

Staff member
Lonestar,

The templates and sculpting tutorial are from my brother, Carl.

For some of you who haven't been around gun engravers too long it might help for me to clear up any confusion between my brother and myself. My brother is Carl B. (Boyd) Bleile and I am C. (Charles) Roger Bleile. The confusion comes from both of us having the same first initial and , of course, both of us being engravers. In fact, starting with my grandfather, just about everyone in my line has the same first initial including my wife and daughter.
roger: when you use the term,"templates", are these the ones lindsay sells, or maybe something else ?

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
1-DSCN0031.JPG

Ok Brian What I did was to take a flat bottom scrapper and ground a concave curve in the bottom so it would cut a nice positive curve on say a corner....I have been working on various holding jigs to do this but have found that the GRS bit grinding adapter will work very well for accurate repeatability .....The problem I am having is finding sinered diamonds of 1000 to 3000 grit on NSK shank size bits to polish the curve once I rough it in......I have used the dental bits and found they are not hardy enough for carbide, they go south after a few minutes of high speed grinding....

Last edited:

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry Roger I knew the templates were Carl's making, I guess I will blame my my mistake on Monk using your name and I followed......

Bob

Flatsguide

Lonestare,
You might look for a brass rod of the diameter you need and charge it with diamond may just finish that concave surface.
Richard

monk

Staff member
i have quite an assortment of cratex stuff. some of it looks like it might be good for that. maybe a tapered mandrel with a cone tip charged with diamond powder ? i'll have to go on lindsays' site. aint been there for quite a time. the template made by carl seems like a very useful tool.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i have quite an assortment of cratex stuff. some of it looks like it might be good for that. maybe a tapered mandrel with a cone tip charged with diamond powder ? i'll have to go on lindsays' site. aint been there for quite a time. the template made by carl seems like a very useful tool.

Monk be sure to hit the Tutorials section. Carl posted threads on both sharpening and using his templates.

Latest posts

Sponsors