Help, please: teach me to inlay?

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think I got the side of the graver in the metal for the third row of teeth wrong the first time. The first two are done left tip in going right, the third would be done right tip in heading left, right?

Attachments

• liner graver size chart and checkering files and inlay graph teeth2.jpg
    liner graver size chart and checkering files and inlay graph teeth2.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 144

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Being "upside down" in this hemisphere I would go backwards from what you are saying but basically the same results. I would cut the black lines first running the chisel from right to left, tool tilted slightly to the right or on the right tip, then the blue lines right to left, then the pink lines right to left, rotating the vise counterclockwise each time.

By the term bottom up do you mean the bottom curved portion of the chisel? My chisel is small, basically flat on the top with a curved belly or bottom side and the edge has a slight curve so that as I scoot or move the chisel from right to left it does not tend to dig in. I always use the chisel belly down and the flat upper side at about a 70 degree angle which I have mentioned before. This is all done using a pneumatic graver.

I expect a left handed person would go just the opposite...have no idea what the coriolis effect might do in your part of the world (hehehe).

The main idea is that each time you cut new teeth across the area you are cutting into previous teeth, not coming from behind them which would tend to close those already cut and greatly weaken their holding ability.

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I think I got the side of the graver in the metal for the third row of teeth wrong the first time. The first two are done left tip in going right, the third would be done right tip in heading left, right?

Dani,

Are you cutting straight lines to different directions first and make undercut for each of them later ?

Latest posts

Sponsors