Historical Lettering styles

Stephen Thomas

Hello All,

Despite extensive searching, I am unable to find any definitive information on the variations in style in hand engraved lettering of makers names on scientific instruments and the like.

A bit of a narrow subject I realize, but one that can be quite relevant to broadly dating such instruments.

Can anyone help???

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i f there's such a museum, try contacting the curator or other official. they may be able to give you an assist. just a thought.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
I think I know what you mean. Engraved lettering styles have changed over the the years. As an example, standard engravers script that is used today came around I think 1865 or maybe later. Before that script was more rounded, and less slanted. My opinion is based on looking at many old watches with engraved lettering. Some factory, some with personal added inscriptions.

Definitely a difference between 1820 engraved script and 1920 engraved script.

I have a book called " A Book of Scripts" by Alfred Fairbanks. It shows earlier lettering styles and dates, and inspite of its title, not just script. First published 1949.

Also " The History and Technique of Lettering" by Alexander Nesbitt. Similar to above book, but written more recently.

Both books are more about pen and paper versus engraving, but in the history of lettering they go hand in hand.

These two books will not answer all your questions, but will be very helpful in dating lettering styles.

Keep in mind that an engraver trained in 1840 probably would use the same styles he was taught in 1875.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Try (The Ganoksin Project ) they have over a 100 old jewlery, engraving and metal work books for download cheap

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
I have a book: Art monograms & lettering by J.M.Bergling and V.C bergling. first printin 1908 / "for engravers, designers and all lovers of art". and The jewelry engravers manual by R.Allen Hardy & John J. Bowman. Original printing 1954. lots of stuff in both books.

Stephen Thomas

Many thanks for the comments, most of them have been most helpful. In my particular field of interest, i.e. engraved names of manufacturers on scientific instruments, e.g. theodolites, microscopes, telescopes, etc, most manufacturers had switched to machine engraved Block letters by 1900. However as confirmed by the posts above, styles in hand engraving before that show distinct changes in style between 1800 and 1900. Obviously individual engravers had their own styles but the hand engraved names are remarkably uniform for all instruments of even very large manufacturers who would have had several engravers, so presumably the company dictated a particular style. i can see the changes of style across makers and work out the approximate succession of styles, I just can't pin them down even to specific decades. Anyway I'll do some research of the sources suggested and see what I can find. If anyone thinks of anything else, that would be most appreciated.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
You want to get a copy of the "Universal Penman" a Dover reprint of the 1730's works by George Bickham. It may not be exactly what you're looking for but is a source of the time period with the different font styles for engravers. The few instruments I've seen of the 18th c. seem to be a Roman or block font illustrated in Bickham's work.
I trust you will share any sources that may be found in your search. Surveyors equipment may be of interest to you as well for a source of style.
Best of luck on your journey,
Mark

Dimas

Elite Cafe Member
I can put a good translation, put in two languages if someone is working to understand.
I understand that in the past, used a writing in Letter Gothic, especially in navigational charts, but writing this type of letter was a lot of work and time to do so, this was one of the reasons for the change of letter, changing to forms redondeadeas and followed, facilitated the writing and less time needed to accumulate information.
Best regards

Me cuesta poner una buena traducción, pongo en los dos idiomas por si alguien colabora a entender.
Tengo entendido que antiguamente, se empleaba una escritura en letra gotica, sobre todo en cartas de navegación, pero escribir en este tipo de letra costaba un gran trabajo y tiempo para poder hacerlo, este fue uno de los motivos para el cambio de letra, cambiando a formas mas redondeadeas y seguidas, facilitaba la escritura y se necesitaba menos tiempo para acumular información.
Saludos

Latest posts

Sponsors