Windex as a degreaser

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello, was reading today a msn article mentioning several uses for windex. I use Acetone for my degreasing needs. Also read its safe on stainless steel, it does state what to avoid to use it on, but I would assume it would be good for firearms and safer than acetone, what do you experts think?

Here is the link

http://a.msn.com/0E/en-us/BBisTxI

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm sure it'll degrease, but it's a soapy watery solution isn't it? I use lighter fluid for quick spot cleaning/degreasing. Works great, dries very quickly. The old stuff was naphtha. Not sure what newer lighter fluids are made of but it works just as well.
Windex is a good household cleaner that can clean many things besides windows and will probably work well for larger cleanups.

E.C. Prudhomme told me "every engraver should have a can of lighter fluid on his bench" and I'm continuing the tradition :)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

Just looking for the safest degreser.

Glasser

Saludos,
Carlos

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Windex contains ammonia, which is corrosive and will cause steel to rust.
Isopropyl alcohol works great, it is a mix of alcohol and water, its as close to a universal solvent as you can get.
Amazingly, Colt used to use boiling gasoline for degreasing before coloring and bluing.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i shot glass of 91% isopropyl's likely the safest. uh, don't drink it. it is quite commonly used at 70% on peoples' skin for various purposes. as barry mentioned, ammonia is not very friendly stuff.lighter fluids next on the list, followed by acetone. if one of these doesn't do the job, i get my sandblaster ! sam showed some "pump" type containers available at most drugstores. these originally held some kind of stuff that ladies use. quite safe for the 3 solvents, and only about 3 bucks a pop. PRESS A cotton ball or rag & push. up comes a metered dose of the stuff.

Attachments

• PUMPER.JPG
    PUMPER.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 224

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Windex contains ammonia, which is corrosive and will cause steel to rust.
Isopropyl alcohol works great, it is a mix of alcohol and water, its as close to a universal solvent as you can get.
Amazingly, Colt used to use boiling gasoline for degreasing before coloring and bluing.

Wow, hard to think about boiling gasoline with the fumes that would let off and the heat source. The things they did back in the day lol.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Depending on what I need it for, I keep acetone, denatured alcohol, lighter fluid, mineral spirits, turpentine, and methyl ethyl ketone handy. I don't think there is just one that does everything. But, if I had to whittle down the list to the bare essentials... I would want acetone, denatured alcohol, and mineral spirits.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ammonia is corrosive for certain. I have been using Windex cleaner that is bottled without ammonia for cleaning my black powder brass cartridges. It has alcohol in it instead of ammonia.

Andrew Biggs

Colt used to use boiling gasoline for degreasing before coloring and bluing.

Holy #$%^!!!!!.......the mind boggles at that one :)

If you are using IPA etc in very small quantities on small surfaces you are fairly safe. It's the absorption through the skin that is the big one to watch for. It's when you start using it on an industrial scale that things start getting a bit messy.

As with all these things they all leave a residue, even the alcohol. So you still need to wipe that off with a paper towel.

Cheers
Andrew

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Gunsmithing - Pistols & Revolvers By Patrick Sweeney, page 131:
"Then, as now, a good finish required a completely degreased surface. To secure this, Colt would dunk racks of polished handguns into tanks of gasoline!"

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Use of various solvents in an ultrasonic cleaner

I figured I'd mention something in case there are some that have never heard of this:

You can put a volatile solvent in a small container along with the part or piece of jewelry and then float it in the regular water-soap solution in your ultrasonic cleaner.:eek:

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Try Wax and Grease remover $30. a gallon on the internet.....The auto paint industry use this on bare steel for prep before painting....No residue....I also use it to clean build up on my sharpening disks that is not removed by my vac hood.....Works for me

Bob

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
As Barry & others said, do not use anything with ammonia in it! Also, do not use anything with chlorine in it, as it'll turn steel brown and corrode it in no time flat! In the machine shops, and at home, I used to use stuff like trichlorothane 1,1,1; lab grade carbon tetrachloride; ActiSol (?); other volatiles now outlawed that were absorbed through the skin and played hell with liver and other internal organs, not to mention the lungs if inhaled. Back then, who knew? The 'wipes' used can also telegraph skin oils onto the work, and leech out dye and stuff from your rags. It seems to be, at this point, the safe items are acetone, methanol, alcohol, and plain old water. Still, watch your eyes, your skin, and your lungs!

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
Mobil oil used to put out a product call Mobil salts 77 which was a good product for degreasing wood prior to gluing
stocks back together
Never used it on steel so don't know
But it never seemed to leave a residue

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just go to your local auto parts store and buy a couple of cans of Brake Parts Cleaner. Mechanics use it to suck their greasy fingerprints out of new brake shoes. Get the house brand, not the expensive stuff. It used to contain chlorinated solvents but no longer since OSHA forced them to remove it. It can also be used to flush gunk off of gunstocks.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Holy #$%^!!!!!.......the mind boggles at that one :)

If you are using IPA etc in very small quantities on small surfaces you are fairly safe. It's the absorption through the skin that is the big one to watch for. It's when you start using it on an industrial scale that things start getting a bit messy.

As with all these things they all leave a residue, even the alcohol. So you still need to wipe that off with a paper towel.

Cheers
Andrew

I assume that by IPA, you are not refering to India Pale Ale! It wouldn't hurt the skin in any quantity, but what a waste! I prefer to absorb it through the lining of my stomach!

tonytigerhk45

Elite Cafe Member
I remember reading or hearing people using Ever Clear liquor for cleaning.
Speaking of using gas, my mom used it on us if we got into poison ivy.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks everyone I was just wondering what was the safest chemical to use, I just want to be around to enjoy my grandkids

Latest posts

Sponsors