Help, please: Please help a fellow engraver out.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey all,

I would like you all to help me out.

Here is the situation. As most of you know I have been traveling around the country teaching classes and engraving along the way. Long story short the camper I am living and working out of is starting to fall apart. I am afraid that I am a victim of modern manufacturing's philosophy of "designed obsolescence". The problem is that every spare cent I have made in the past year since the divorce has gone to pay down the debt I was left with after the divorce. I have paid a bunch off but still have a few thou to go on that. So I don't have the cash saved up to do the project with.

I am doing a Gofundme campaign to raise funds to buy an older Airstream or Spartan camper, from back in the day when things were built to last, and rebuild it into my traveling studio and home.

I am working a on a section of my new website where I will lay out what I plan to do with the camper. I will also be posting progress pics on Facebook as I get the camper and work progresses on it. When I get the new webpage done I will post a link to it so you all can follow whats going on.

I really believe my goal of $20,000 is attainable. If I can get $1,000 people to send me $20 I have it. Sam has already sent a very gracious $100 donation. I appreciate that very much.

The link is gofund.me/qghh2c

All you have to do is follow the directions at the link. Even if you can't donate please share this in every forum and social media you are allowed to. The more I can get the work out the closer I can get to my goal and a new place to live and work.

Thank you all
Ray

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray,

I have your back brother, I'm a teacher and get paid once a month but I'll send something over your way on my next paycheck.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When My SS check arrives on the third I will forward what I can. If you need a place to lay up and work on things or just spend a time out. Been through it myself-she left me with nothing but the debt I have ten acres with RV hook up, tools and the time to help Fred

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Ray - 2 1/2 years ago you showed me how to hold a graver and you watched me make my first cut. It was a great start you gave me and I am happy to donate to your cause. I will do it today! Best wishes, David

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Ray, do yourself a favor and take a look at a good used aluminum horse trailer. Today they come with ALL of the amenities, a/c,TV, satellite, range, sink, queen size bed, couch, generator, commode and shower.
My trailer in the back is 16'×7' of usable workspace.

Today's aluminum trailers are built to haul 2 TONS of moving,swaying, stomping horses. Today's rodeo cowboys will put 70+ thousand miles a year on these rigs with little or no maintenance other than washing, grease and tires.
There are some really good deals out there today. My trailer was custom built in Canada in 2004 at a cost of 80k U.S.D..I bought it at an estate sale for 16k last year.
Google used aluminum gooseneck horse trailers with living quarters and take a look at the interiors.
Plus, you don't have to pay property taxes or sales tax(claim farm use).

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'll sneak some grocery money and send yer way. all i can say is, hang in there, and never give up. i never bothered to thank you, but i won a bid on a beautiful bracelet you donated for one of scotts' engraveins. i thank you now and applaud such generosity on your part. good luck

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
David,
There are MANY good solid trailers over in Florida,Georgia, etc. fs.
Y'all got so much money, that y'all trade trailers about as often as y'all change your drawers.
I was headed to Georgia to pick up an awesome trailer when I stumbled into the one I ended up with.
Get one with at least an 11' to 12' short wall.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Ray, count me in, probably next week. I would also like to arrange a class for you at the HotShops again. Can't make it for May this year, but maybe around the 4th of July? We could be judges for the Liquid Arts Fest that takes place at that time. A lot of good home brewers will be there with their best. That might reduce the sting of the camper situation a bit.

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Ray
Like others, you got me started too. I can't thank you enough for that. I'll hit the site this weekend. Even if we don't "get it all", I'm sure the bump will really help.
I'd also have "donated" the old toy-hauler to your cause, but we lost her on I-70 about a year ago when the side let loose due to a roof leak causing wood rot. I made for some funny pictures is all I can say.

Dan

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
RAY Just gave a little won a bid on ebay sent you the diff of the win and max bid good luck and dont give up you will make it in no time I am sure lots of members will give as you have given so much to them.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There's a big Airstream sitting in a guy's yard down the road. It hasn't moved since I moved here 13 years ago. Don't know if it's for sale but he sure as hell don't use it. Might be worth looking in to.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
RAY Just gave a little won a bid on ebay sent you the diff of the win and max bid good luck and dont give up you will make it in no time I am sure lots of members will give as you have given so much to them.

if everyone that lurks here just donated a buck or 2 ! what might that do ?

Latest posts

Sponsors