Engraved Bowie Knife

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Just finished this Bowie knife for a very good customer of mine and thought I would share some pics and ask a question. I chose a running leaf design that I learned from Sam two years ago. Needs more refinement but I think not too bad. Good news is that the customer loves it and he commissioned me to engrave 2 other similar type of Bowie knives, one with 300 series stainless bolsters which I hope is not the really hard grade. But, that is ok, it will just require more frequent sharpening. I also set some rubies into the design since I had some left from a ring I just finished.

I had two real challenges engraving this knife. First, the 12" blade makes it tough to turn under the scope but that I can live with that. Second and more difficult challenge was the the brass hand guard is elevated enough to cause havoc with the graver while trying to cut this running leaf design and burnish in the stones! I got it done but perhaps I will try using some different graver geometry so my graver stands up a bit higher and therefore less bumping into the raised guard. I included a couple close up pics of the guard so you can see what I mean.

Would some of you tend to choose a different design when cutting close to a raised guard like this? Or.... ?

Thanks for looking!
IMG_4057.jpg IMG_4055w.jpg 600IMG_0242.jpg 600IMG_0256.jpg

Andrew Biggs

Simple but very effective. looks great!!

The trick with big blades is to not gut yourself when turning in the vise......this involves some heavy duty breathing in at the blade turns :)

Cheers
Andrew

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Simple but very effective. looks great!!

The trick with big blades is to not gut yourself when turning in the vise......this involves some heavy duty breathing in at the blade turns :)

Cheers
Andrew

That is very funny!!! I have to do that with the little blades too!!!!

Donny

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
First class work, David! Really clean cutting and expertly done. Bravo! :clapping:

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
That design looks a lot easier to cut next to the guard than say some form of scroll. Any design easily cut in that area might be somewhat boring. A little difficulty just adds to the future enjoyment. Looks great as is!

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, thanks and you can be sure that the blades are taped and wrapped to avoid surprises ;)

atexascowboy, RDP and both Sam's - thanks for your nice comments and SamW, I appreciate your thoughtful advice.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
David, Looks great to me. I have a question. The pen you are using to layout this design directly on the work piece. Would you give me the specifics of this pen. Name, size and where found?

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Roger. In that picture I am using just a simple and cheap mechanical pencil that I sharpened on 600 grit paper. I am only using that to touch up a few areas that did not come out well after my transfer process. I use Tom White's white transfer magic solution and then print the design on Pictorico transparency film and rub it on with my fingernail and/or burnisher. Hope that helps.