Magnablock vise for microscope or something else?

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
We are looking at purchasing a vise and even though we don't have a microscope yet I don't want to have to buy twice. I do understand the taller the vise the bigger the swing and faster out of focus the item being engraved will be. But the smaller low profile vises are way less weight and from what I have been reading isn't weight a key? Is weight less of a factor due to a lower verticle center of gravity of the low profile vise?

Something else I guess I should add is I may not be able to use a microscope at all. I wear glasses with a high astigmatism and am heavy right eye dominate. I have never had a problem with our Nikkon binoculars due to the eyepieces having enough relief for folks that wear corrective lenses.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here opinions may vary, I own a cheap vise medium size for my daughter the Brady block so when i go portable, and my magnablock. I mostly use my magnablock I mostly work on firearms, under a scope it does get old having to move the vice back-and-forth since it's so heavy, i've had mine modified to accommodate some custom-made fixtures so its a keeper. But ive really been considering buying Steve Lindsay's low-profile vice runs around 300 bucks which is not too bad. What I have heard before is by a vice that you will use 90% of the time. So basically it all depends on what you will be working on.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the magnablock but I don't use my scope much. I mostly work with a #7 optivisor.

If you are going to get and use a scope the low profile GRS block is the way to go.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Unless you are real short the Magnablock will work. That is what I use. I like the additional weight myself.
Most good scopes will work with glasses. I wear my glasses with the Meiji.

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Well right now most of the work I will be doing is jewelry related. I cut a bowling ball up and mounted a vise to it but haven't used it yet. Is there advantages to using or not using a scope?

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I worked for years without a scope. I used optivisors in 3 and 5 power and have been happy with the results. But Always wanted to get a scope and did a few years ago. I mainly wanted it to use it for banknote work on my game scenes. I have yet to use it to cut scroll, I might add I use hammer and chisel and just like the freedom of cutting my scroll with out looking through the scope. I know my cuts would be much more exact if cut looking through the scope. But you can get hung up cutting so many cuts for shading that look great under the power of the scope but when looked at by the naked eye it can look over done in my view. When half the amount of cuts would do the job and in some ways look better.
So don't feel like you need a scope to do good work. ZZ

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the vise of choice, for me, is mandated by the type work i want to do. magna block, centering vise, mini ball vise, and yes, even the bowling ball is resorted to upon occasion. as for the scope, again, i feel, the nature of the work will (or should) tell one what optics are needed. also your vision will play a role in this. if a serious eye problem, i'd consult with an optometrist or ophthalmologist to evaluate the best way for your eyes. i also think there are specialty oculars for those requiring glasses. they simply replace the normal oculars in the scope.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I've used a Ray LeTourneau 45 lb vise since I started engraving. I use it for everything I do. I also use it on a turntable so it is a little more user friendly. All in all it is perfect for me and my work. I used to have one of his 25 lb vises. I sold it in a moment of pure stupidity!!:beatup:

Donny

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
I bought a Magnablock. My son wants to do some bigger stuff at some point so should work well for that. I'm just going to stick to the optivisor.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I've got the perfect anvil, BUT !!!
I bid on a little cutie (44lb.German double bick), the other day.
Luckily it went for megabucks!

While spending the summer in Wyoming, I picked up three who were just begging to be brought back to Texico.

The original "AA" meetings were for "Anvil Addicts" !

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I've got the perfect anvil, BUT !!!
I bid on a little cutie (44lb.German double bick), the other day.
Luckily it went for megabucks!

While spending the summer in Wyoming, I picked up three who were just begging to be brought back to Texico.

The original "AA" meetings were for "Anvil Addicts" !

ever launch one of those puppies with black powder ? make sure to wear yer hardhat !