Learning to see

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I did read often that drawing is the key to engraving and it is certainly true but drawing is just a technical ability as such given enough time and effort anyone can learn it.
As I reading postings of new comers, look at drafts of projects, it did strike me that drawing is greatly impair by the inability to see, to really look and analyze. I think that most of the time it is not the lack of basic drawing abilities which is the problem, they just do not, physically, see where are the problems and therefore can not remedy them.
So here is my question how does one learn to see, what exercise what method could one follow, is there one?

Dirtdigger

I have the same problem about seeing the mistakes and problems on my drawings. I think the best cure is the practice. Draw and look, draw and look and then some more. Allso try to analyse what you see more experienced drawers/engravers do and try to see what is different on youre drawing. Ofcourse all feedback you can get from others will help to see and correct youre drawing.
I would allso like to know if there is any other way to help one to see better!

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I carry my new drawing EVERYWHERE (except the shower), 24-7 for a week or two.
Then I do the same with the practice plate.
This gives me numerous opportunities to say to myself,"Why in the 'H' did I do that or why didn't I do this?".
Plenty of third person objectivity going on after a few days.
Granted, I just do this as a hobby and professionals are able to for see their weak links, but I would rather not rush things and turn out something that I am proud of rather than wishing down the road that I had done something different.
In other words, it must stand the test of time for me.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The book by Betty Edwards called DRAWING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BRAIN teaches you to turn off the logical left side of your brain and use the right (creative) side. That will get you pointed in the right direction.

As far as ornamental design goes, there are so many subtle details that'll will only come from studying and drawing it relentlessly. It slowly gets better and better because you're learning to see.

Here's a drawing progression I posted a few weeks ago which shows how I approach design. I've studied this kind of art for many years so I have a fairly decent vocabulary of design elements to pull from. I might try a half-dozen until I find one that fits a particularly challenging area. Other times I might nail it the first time on an easier area.

Reviewing your drawing days later is an excellent way to spot irregularities as they often jump out at you. After staring at the same design or portrait for hours on end, your perception can dull. Viewing it hours or days later with a fresh eye shows me where adjustments should be made.

Looking at your drawing in a mirror can also make troublesome areas jump out at you, and sometimes I shoot a quick photo with my iPhone and view the work on-screen. This also helps to point me to areas that need to changed or adjusted.

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
In "Design Structures 1" I was taught to always turn my work upside down. That advise has served me well.

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
all the advice given is very good
i could not tell you what a good scroll was or see where
bad areas Where when i first started .
you have to become obsessed with scrolls.
study ...draw...read..watch.listen..ask questions...eaze drop
whatever it takes......COMMIT YOURSELF TO COMPLETE THE GOAL
YOU WILL GET BETTER...BUT IT TAKES A REAL EFFORT FROM YOURSELF .

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Try looking a the design in a mirror. Many mistakes are obvious when looked at backwards. Also when drawing you brain takes a set so to speak. To offset this phenomenon put the drawing away for a couple of days and your brain will forget what it saw. When looked at a four or five days later it will look all together different. I never like to draw something and then engrave it the same day. I think this plays into the same thing Sam referred to in using the left side of the brain. That is a good book to read. Not many artists like Sam around. Wives are good at pointing out mistakes also.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thierry,

Since you asked the question, what were you taught in this regard when you studied art and engraving at Leon Mignon in Belgium?

Roger

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Sometimes what works for me is to give it a days rest and then take a look at what I've done, considering it as if it were someone elses work. The mirror trick sometimes works, too. Or, post it here and see if anyone pays attention - often, the better the work, the more specific the comments are for improvement.

Latest posts

Sponsors