Question: Inlaying into Damascus

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry, I remember seeing this little beauty at one of the conventions. Truly a gem! It gives me the idea that I too, may want to blue the Damascus after inlaying the gold. It gives it a far greater impact.

Joe, the knife I've been tasked with is an already assembled folder.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
there is no engraving on it, but this is a very simple bluing job I did while making this one. after sanding and polishing the bolsters and liners on this I buried them in kosher salt in a toaster oven at 500deg. for 2 hrs. I preheated the salt then burry the parts. I know there are other, and likely better ways, but this seemed to give a nice almost glazed look to the polished steel. and no lung melting chemical baths required. :)
DSCF1551.jpg

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Looks great, BUT, why are the armed dillos darker ? A different steel inlaid ?
Then, besides copious amounts of water what do you use to neutralize ? Sealing?
Have you used this technique before? And are there any negative effects,(corrosion) down the road ?
Thanks.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
pieces go in dry. I just take them out of the salt and spray with WD-40. (sorry, forgot to mention that part) no negative effects that ive noticed from doing this. seems to prevent surface rusting as well. I first started playing with this with Damascus rings. still have a few treated this way from a couple years ago, still, no surface rust showing. it might not be as permanent or durable a treatment as the Niter bluing salts. *shrugs ive not worked with any of it.

the blade is some of Robert Eggerlings picture mosaic Damascus. armadillos are the steel... all the way through.

Latest posts

Sponsors