Question: Inlaying into Damascus

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a rather strangely shaped knife that a customer wants engraved. It has a Damascus blade and Damascus scales. The scales have a long tapered brass insert. He has given me full rein as to design. I was thinking of inlaying fine gold scroll outlines into the Damascus. Will the final stoning and polishing of the gold damage the Damascus pattern? I believe that the pattern is made with an acid bath after the billet is formed. I don't want to have to re-etch after the inlay is in place.

Last edited:

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
It is possible that you will loose some of the pattern in the Damascus. But it is real easy to bring it back out with dipping it in a solution of of ferric chloride and vinegar. Radio Shack sells ferric chloride as PCB enchant solution (#276-1535). When I bought it it was 16 ounces for $4.29. Photo is of a neck less I made for my daughter in law for Christmas.
:tiphat:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 291

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks for your wisdom, I love to read every thread, going to be making and working with knives sometime towards the end of this year and this will come in handy, Thanks for sharing

Saludos,
Carlos

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sandy, what type of Damascus die you use and where did you get it. I tried to do that with some stainless Damascus that was supposed to be soft. But it's broken everything I've tried to cut it with.

Todd

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Todd
I bought several pieces of Alabama Damascus a few years ago at the Tulsa gun show. You can get it at www.alabamadamascussteel.com.
Have you tried to anneal the Damascus you have. If you have an electric stove you can put it in the oven and set the oven to cleaning mode and let it cycle through. Then let it stay in the oven over night so it air cools. I have done that off and on over the years and it has worked. At least it make the metal more workable.
Sandy

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
But it is real easy to bring it back out with dipping it in a solution of of ferric chloride and vinegar.
Sandy,
I have never heard of mixing ferric chloride and vinegar, but have used FeCl by itself. What are the benefits of the added vinegar and how is it mixed?

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Dave,
60% Fe Cl 40% white vinegar. Got the recipe off texas knife makers supply web site. Seems to work. Etches pretty fast.
Sandy

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
Be sure to neutralize the acid as acid will get under the inlay and if not neutralized will cause rot.soaking in ammonia based glass cleaner works well.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
if you can keep stoning to a minimum around the inlay, then you could apply it localized with a q-tip.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for all the info guys! Is there any special things I should watch out for when cutting into the Damascus? Do the different layers of metals make the cutting rough? Unfortunately, I don't have a hidden spot on the Damascus to make any experimental test cuts. If I decide to do this, I will just have to bite the bullet and jump in hoping for the best!

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
There's many different pattern welded steels" Damascus" which is made by combining different steels at very high temps,and then manipulating the patterns in different ways. The acid etches each steel differently revealing the pattern. Most Damascus is annealed and cuts well. If there's a lot of pure nickel used,it can be more difficult.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Damascus layers can vary in hardness, causing the graver to race, slow, race, slow, but you get the feel for it quickly. It would be good to do a test cut where it won't show, or practice on a piece of scrap first, to get a feel for it, although your tool control is good enough that you probably don't need practice.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Again, thanks to all for the added info. With a special thanks to Damon (oiseau metal arts) for his thoughtful gift of some scrap pieces of Damascus to give me a chance to practice and experiment. It has been said before, but cannot be said enough. That the members of this Forum and the engraving community of today, are the most giving of their knowledge, time and often resources, of any other group of people that I have ever encountered.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a tutorial I did a while back:

I had been after Steve Lindsay for one of his very kewel damascus handles, which add a little heft and a lot of style to my PC.
And I thought perhaps you would like to see where I went with it.

1.After dividing the PC into quadrilateral sections I laid out the leaves by the "Inductive Layout " method with consistent lattice crossing leaf angles, and then drew in the scrolls and started cutting holes for stems and leaves.
2. Then I applied the stems, and started measuring, transfering and cutting leaves.
3. Next were added more leaves, The stems are trimmed and the leaves are burnished until flat.
4. then I etched the Damas with nitric acid
5, A,B, and C,This looks pretty good, but needs a little something. . . .
6. Into the salts, for a little blacking. . .
7. AHHH smells like my great Aunts home cooking, she was an anarchist you know.
8. Looks alright for a hammer. . .

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a tutorial I did a while back:

I had been after Steve Lindsay for one of his very kewel damascus handles, which add a little heft and a lot of style to my PC.
And I thought perhaps you would like to see where I went with it.

1.After dividing the PC into quadrilateral sections I laid out the leaves by the "Inductive Layout " method with consistent lattice crossing leaf angles, and then drew in the scrolls and started cutting holes for stems and leaves.
2. Then I applied the stems, and started measuring, transfering and cutting leaves.
3. Next were added more leaves, The stems are trimmed and the leaves are burnished until flat.
4. then I etched the Damas with nitric acid
5, A,B, and C,This looks pretty good, but needs a little something. . . .
6. Into the salts, for a little blacking. . .
7. AHHH smells like my great Aunts home cooking, she was an anarchist you know.
8. Looks alright for a hammer. . .

Barry, is that for daily use? How has the gold held up?

Glasser

Saludos,
Carlos

Latest posts

Sponsors