Question: What is the best graver for steel ?

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi,

I am trying to engrave on a stainles steel and I have 90 degre graver sharpened by Lindsay templets,

the stainles steel is a little bit harder than I have before, I have no problem with steel shotgun receiver but this piece is different.

when I try to engrave on steel the graver is broken very easliy from its heel, I mean graver is overweared very fast and easliy.

I used carbid engraver and its diamter is 4 mm

what is the best angle and sharping type for this kind of steel,

Best Regards

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Salih,

Not all Stainless is the same. Here are some tipos to help.

400 series cuts easily. If it's magnetic it's 400 stainless
300 is more difficult some is almost impossible.
Do Not use carbide
Use a HSS like Glensteel Lindsays M42 or of course my preference the gravers I have manufactured http://www.engraver.com/high-speed-steel-graver-blanks-for-stainless-steel/
Don't polish the graver
Use some kind of lubrication
Cut slowly This will allow the graver to cut the metal if you cut too fast you will push the metal and it will work harden as you cut.
If possible use a wide geometry like a 105 or greater.
Plan to resharpen more often
Try not to start and stop in a cut too much.

These tips should help . Let us know if they help. The grades of stainless I listed are what is used in the USA You may have to do a search to find the equal grade in other countries.

Chris

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
try a 120 with a 50 degree face. makes for a much more break resistant cutting tool. the wider, steeper face angle simply means there is more steel up front where it counts.

Sponsors