First attempt at drawing leaf scroll

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are a couple of pics of a set of initials I drew today. After reading the tutorial I set out to draw some for the first time. I might add that the "P" is loosely based on one in the Bergling book, I didn't like the "Q" that was in there so I modified an "O" and added the tail and... wellah.

I just hauled off and drew the P on the plate in some transfer wax and cut it out. Sam, that blue stuff stuck up there on top of my vise is that Rodico I gave you. I pinched a piece off and used it to stab my pencil in to remove the dust after re-sharpening and to remove wax. It bugs me to have crud on my lead while I'm trying to draw, it may however, not bother you at all. That is just one use for Rodico.

I'll shade these and post a pic when I'm done. What do you all think about the background, should I dot punch it, stipple??? I don't want to relieve it, just treat it some way or another so give your input. I don't like a couple of the leaves in retrospect but I'll live with em'.

Attachments

• IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 308

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You're well on your way, Tim. You'll achieved more of a 3D look in the Q because you've left plenty of the underside are open for shading. Post some pics of the shaded letters when you're done! / ~Sam

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, here is the shaded Q. Please feel free to critique as you see fit, it all helps. I think I may have used too many lines. I need some input on that for sure. I think I may need some more cross hatching somewhere...

The trouble with drawing your own scroll is you have to draw and cut your own shade lines and know where to put them which is a chore to me! I put them where I thought they ought to be to get the effect I was after which of course would be as 3D as I can imagine it.

All part of learning the ropes I reckon, but I'm going to do it there ain't no 2 ways about it. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• shady Q70.jpg
    shady Q70.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 206

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Tim: I don't think you've used too many lines, but I can only clearly see the top half of the plate. The rest is lost in unwanted reflection.

I think you are very close to getting a solid understanding of leaf script, and I'm pleased with what you've done. I hope you don't mind me circling a couple of areas I think need improvement...if you do let me know and I'll remove it.

Left circled area: The feathered edge of the shading cuts are a bit hard and could be softened quite a bit. It appears that you started them in pretty much the same location and cut into the overlapping leaf. Starting from the bottom and working your way up, extend each line a little farther to the right as you go. This will create more of a sweeping look to the shading and help avoid the hard, vertical contrast where that set of shade cuts begins.

Right circled area: There may be a slight bit of inconsistency in spacing in shade cuts. Remember that the spacing between cuts can really jump out, so consistency is important. I'm not saying all cuts should have the exact space between them...you can really make this space work for you by varying the distance between cuts. You might also consider crosshatching this area where the overlap occurs. This will darken the area under the overlap and really add to the 3-dimensional effect.

You did a good job on this, Tim. It's far better than my first efforts with leaf script. I can only imagine how these letters will look after you've cut a slew of them! / ~Sam

Attachments

• critique1.jpg
    critique1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 166
first stuff

Hi Tim: When I turn out scroll that looks that good I will feel good about it.
I had Scott Pilkington look at some real tiny scroll that I put on a multiblade folder that I made, His comment was "well I wouldn't throw it away. I took this as a careful comment, but wondered what he would have said if it had been put on a practice plate instead of a knife. By the way the next scroll will be on a practice plate. Your drawing and developement of this looks cool. By the way I need all of the advice that Sam has to offer. Jack D.

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Sam, I think I can fix some of those errors. I was unsure what to do about a bright spot. Are they void of lines accross them or are there fewer lines and spaced further apart? I figured I'd experiment to figure out how to get a bright spot but not too bright.

As always your critique is always welcome and my hope is for others to learn from these as well so circle to your hearts content.

Jack, I've showed things to Scott too and always got a grade on it so to speak. He's as direct and honest as the day is long and has always given good advice. He looks a lot at flow and my first knife (that I made & engraved) didn't flow well, I didn't throw it away either ;-}

All these guys ar so much farther down the road than us beginners that they see things we don't because the've done the mistakes before and know how to avoid them next time. We're all rich because of their willingness to share that knowledge, so I can correct my goofs next time rather than 10 times from know when it finally dawns on me what I did wrong. I'm greatful for all instruction and critique. Thanks fellas.

Latest posts

Sponsors