vise modification

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've been thinking of modifying the levers on my centering vise. this would allow a smoother shift "on the fly". anyone ever done this. i want to do it, but would appreciate info from others who may have done this.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've never done this but I know people have put in lighter springs. I had a student in class sort of jury rig one with wire around the outside and more or less wired the levers to "almost" open. A slight push allowed the vise to adjust easily. You might be able to add some sort of stop internally to do the same thing.

monk

Staff member
I've never done this but I know people have put in lighter springs. I had a student in class sort of jury rig one with wire around the outside and more or less wired the levers to "almost" open. A slight push allowed the vise to adjust easily. You might be able to add some sort of stop internally to do the same thing.

yes, rex. i did replace the original springs, the main screw, and the threaded inserts. the new springs are such that if getting a long object in the jaws, the vise wants to tip over. a disaster if i'm cutting. i had thought of adding extensions onto the levers. not sure though if anyone else has tried such a trick. actually, mine is the older model that had only 1 spring-- but the effect would be similar with 2 i'd think. this model doesn't have the plastic pressure "cap" that the newer models have. tyvm

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Beathard I would love to have a bridgeport, but the $1000 rig I have is not in that class......I tend to get along fine with it......Space is my problem, just don't have it.....

Monk I have a friend that grows 160 kinds of peppers, I am sure we can fix you up.......some are can be used for paint stripper.....

Bob

monk

Staff member
Beathard I would love to have a bridgeport, but the $1000 rig I have is not in that class......I tend to get along fine with it......Space is my problem, just don't have it.....

Monk I have a friend that grows 160 kinds of peppers, I am sure we can fix you up.......some are can be used for paint stripper.....

Bob
i'm like will rogers-- i never met a jalopeno i didn't like.

monk

Staff member
A trip to Washington would be cheaper than a Bridgeport J-Head...

a friend sold his shop a few years ago. he offered me his bridgeport-- dro's, power feed, and ten jillion end mills. all for 600 bucks. problem-- no floor space to put it.inverted 3-phase. i would have had to re-locate an 8' hendey , which couldn't be done ! oppurnockity only tunes once !

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Monk I have never been able to find deals like that when I need them.......I have had three phase motors in the past, I throw them away and buy single phase.....cheaper way to go for me...large motor converters are spendy...

Bob

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk an easy fix for 3-phase is a frequency drive- runs off 220 single phase and converts to 3 phase. Now that I told you this you can officially become a tool-aholic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monk

Staff member
lonestar & silverchip: this occurs to the lucky few that choose their friends wisely. when he was starting out, he didn't have a dime to rub on a penny. i loaned him a lincoln welder and a set of torches, as well as some other tools. this went on for maybe 2 years. once he got his shop up & running, i could go there any time to use any of his equipment.
the hendey had a 3 phase motor on it. my pal gave me a gadget that converted the 220 single to 3 phase. life brings many blessings to those who give a few.

Latest posts

Sponsors