Critique Request Yet another drawing attempt.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i would concentrate more on the spines, less on the details. the details aren't going to go anywhere with the flat spots. i don't know the size of the drawing, but maybe it would be a bit easier to get a grip on this by drawing somewhat larger. the large leafy part on the right side, that doesn't match or fit in with the main design theme.

fatih

size is superposed shotgun template , i got confused while filling that space with the large leafy part on the right lol , emptiness bothering me , i was like fill it with sometihng ! :D

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I would say to abandon the shotgun shape until you can draw scrolls properly. Keep it simple, do them perfectly, then work them out in this shape. What you have drawn is definitely not working. You're getting way ahead of yourself.

Sam

Staff member
Draw two connecting scrolls and submit them for critique and slowly work your way to more complex arrangements.

fatih

My fault is being hasty. I know im not gonna be perfect engraver artist , i just wanna grave my shotgun with a decent design :) Thanks for comments i'll try to draw simple and bigger next time

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just take a piece of paper and draw a scroll with another scroll coming off of it. Don't try to fill a space, just try to do the best pair of scrolls you can.

DiLeon

The only way to learn to draw is to keep trying....went to college for art....five years of drawing classes and the work had to match that of the old master drawing....we had to copy until perfect. And the doctors and professors would take our drawing and throw them into the trash can. ....and we would have to try and try again. Your work is coming but you need to use drawing pencils and get few kneaded erasers....and erase until you rip the paper and then start over. No thick black lines....lots of light ones that can be redone. Also their are various curved rulers and bendable line rulers these are useful when drawing circles that expand. Do not be afraid to make tons of mistakes because that is all part of the learning. Another way to learn is to copy another scroll work....with measuring and the works....do a few of these and then try your own if you get on how to do it. The more you draw these kind of things, the better you will get. Hang in there.....drawing is alot of work....and practice and your coming along.

Sam

Staff member
Here's a good exercise for you. Go to this link at EngravingGlossary.com and click on the pic of Nimschke engraved brass frame gun near the bottom of the page. Print the pic and practice drawing that scroll until you can do it really well. Practice the outline...don't worry about the shading or the borders around the scroll. Just work on the outline.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
Just draw scrolls

Fatih, like Steve said, just take a piece of paper and start drawing scrolls. This is yesterdays mindless doodles. there's two conference calls in there and a potentiometric map. The more scrolls you draw, the easier it becomes, and they don't have to be going anywhere. There is always a piece of scrap paper on my desk and and every day i'm in the office it looks something like this, sometimes better than others, but you get the idea. I'll bet the real engravers still do the same thing sometimes.

Todd

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Basic scrolls on a shotgun

Here is an example of some basic scrolls on the action of an Italian shotgun. Nothing complex or interlocking. This would be good for any beginner to work on.

By the way the gun is a Fratelli Poli but I don't know who the engraver was.

Attachments

• Basic scroll on SG.jpg
    Basic scroll on SG.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 254

monk

Staff member
yes, that's a good design to look at. just work on a sheet of paper, with no particular place or shape to worry about. filling shapes comes (or seems to come) naturally after mastering the basic scroll shape. the nature of a scroll allows it to fill most any shape one can imagine. that is the magic of the scroll as an element of design. adding the details, as you do, i think hinders you from the very beginning. just too many things to think of at one time.

fatih

I keep practicing on very simple scrolls - no shading - and im stating to see what im missing. thanks all for the comments and still expecting more practice ideas like what should i do after im done with basic scroll ? i mean what is the next step ? thanks.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't worry about the next step. Do the basic scrollwork until you can do it perfectly and post it here. The next step is still in the future.

fatih

Im trying different sizes so far. Gonna continue bigger then smaller ones

Attachments

• 20150326_130026.jpg
    20150326_130026.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 185

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You have the right idea but I'll point out a major, but simple to fix problem. Each scroll you have placed after the first is coming off the wrong direction. Flip the second, fourth and so on. You must know where a scroll originates from and how to grow it. And this why you can't move too fast. We've all been at that point where we didn't even know what questions to ask. Take it in baby steps and don't even think about cutting that gun. Many of us have made that mistake and there are no do overs with engraving. Get the basics down. I'd advise getting a few reference books. the most important tools you need right now are patience, a pencil and a bunch of erasers. These are the things I wish someone had told me when I first started. And don't forget to have fun!

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Better to comment late with the correct info, than not at all.
Hopefully, Faith will see it.
Ron Smith's book would be a big help here.

Latest posts

Sponsors