Help, please: I think i've made some progress on my drawing :)

fatih

Still im out of league but hey i listen advices and here is my second drawing on a shotgun template. :eek:

Attachments

• 20150314_162433.jpg
    20150314_162433.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 252

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
fatih,

It shows some improvement, but I would not engrave it on a shotgun, practice plate maybe, what scrollwork material have you used to base you deaigns on , pictures, books, dvd?

One area id like to point out is the top right combination scroll the leaf in the middle is going in the wrong direction it does not flow with the design. The most basic your scroll backbones are not round, very suttle elbows and flat spots. hope this helps.

Saludos,
Carlos

sinan

Buy the video “The Essential Guide to Drawing Scrolls by Sam Alfano” and the books by Ron Smith and L. R. Griffiths thus you will solve many problems with scroll and rest of it will be your ability.

If you are in Istanbul join the Tezhip ( some kind of Turkish decorative arts) courses. They will not teach you the scroll but they teach how to draw scroll like motifs which is more difficult than western scrolls.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Fatih, here is a quick redraw of your basic pattern to show what is considered the correct flow of scroll backbones or designs. I would also recommend you consider a border of some kind first and then draw your scroll to either just touch the border of stand off an equal amount from it all the way round. I will leave it to others to discuss fill-in leaves and such.

Attachments

• Fatih.jpg
    Fatih.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 223

fatih

SamW that picture you upload gonna help me a lot thanks and Thanks for comments , im using random pictures to draw but still after im done empty areas bothering me a lot. How can i fill empty spaces without ruining design?

Ps: Sinan thanks for advice but im living in izmir and i cant find any engrave course in my city so im gonna learn to myself.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
once you are comfortable just doing the larger spirals, you'll likely find yourself practicing the smaller stuff to fill the voids. or, i would think so. it all comes in TIME. the problem as i see it: the forum is loaded with beautiful, advanced, and complicated work.
for a newcomer to attempt drawing on this scale is an exercise in frustration. concentrate on the more simplified design concept first.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's a trick I learned from Roland Baptise: when you think your design is right, make a copy on paper, almost as if you were going to do a transfer. Print it normally instead of reversed though. Now trim it to size and stick it down onto your object. It will let you see what your design looks like 'finished' (sort of).

A couple of other tricks are to lay your design down and walk around it, looking at it from all angles. Wait a day and look at it again. Look at it in a mirror. All of these are ways of helping you see what's actually there rather than what you intended to be there.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
KCSteve,

very good suggestion, thank you for sharing this one