Question: Here it is a 120 Degree Graver Sharpeninng

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Looking at the heel from the underside the parallels do not look parallel.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I see it too, but if you're using a handpiece it might not be enough to be a difference. It's good habit to make them perfectly symmetrical and as accurate as possible though.

The graver has more lift than my 120s but it looks like it will cut just fine.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
I believe the relief facets behind the heel should be at a much lower angle than you have done here. Maybe 2 to 5 degrees before adding the parallel heel. As Sam says, the overall lift of the tool is a little too much.
You would be better using a standard heel for now just for ease of sharpening and repeatability. You will find you will be able to execute cuts that are equally as clean as with a parallel on all but the tiniest of radii curves.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
I can see from the photos that the heels (right & left) are sharpened at different angles from the center of the graver bottom Vee--or the Vee point is misaligned to the center line of the graver sharpening tool.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes. I noticed that it is not easily aligned. I will try to do my best to make it aligns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomawe: Please go into settings and turn off the TAPATALK ad. Thanks!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
regardless of how nice this looks ( and to me it does) what really counts is, how well does it cut ? if it cuts well, just use it.

Latest posts

Sponsors