Question: Here's My Graver Sharpening Video. I am Beginning Engraver.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
It looks more like a 70 degree and not a 120 degree but it could be the PIX not sure....anyone more experienced care to help?

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
It does not look correct. I think you are confusing your heel cut with the cuts you should make to have a 120 degree graver. What kind of sharpening system are you using?

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
I have sharpened a few 120 degrees on my dual angle fixture and they are way wider than what you show in your pix how did you sharpen it?

Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just posted on your other post. It's definitely not a 120.

If you are using the dual angle, you set the rotation angle to 30' to make the reshaping grind at 5-7.5' on the post angle. then to heel the graver, you use 30' for the rotation and whatever heel lift you would like from 10' up to 25' or more.

Tomawe

I use Diamond Bench Stones - Lindsay Sharpener (260, 1200 for Face and 2000 for Heel diamond grit (6" x 2" x 1/2" block) with Otto Carter Multi-Angle Omnigrind Template. I think it need liite more grind the two tiny Heel facets.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wouldn't trash that grind. It looks good, just not a 120

I'd just start with a new blank...they are cheap enough that it won't matter too much to start over completely new.

You'll end up loosing too much of that graver trying to go from 70' to 120' that it'll be like throwing it away.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
I wouldn't trash that grind. It looks good, just not a 120

I'd just start with a new blank...they are cheap enough that it won't matter too much to start over completely new.

You'll end up loosing too much of that graver trying to go from 70' to 120' that it'll be like throwing it away.

I agree try using it you may like it. I prefer the 90 to the wider stuff at the moment, and have a few 120s and 115s. But I know I will use them. They are not eating anything so no need to re grind them.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There's no such thing as a best geometry. It's what works for you. I personally use a 120' graver for almost everything I do except bulino/banknote style work. I am constantly adjusting the face angle and heel to accommodate the work I'm doing. For a beginner, a 120 can be challenging to wield. a 110 is quite a bit easier to use and will give you enough width that will allow you to start developing beveling in your outline cutting. That's the geometry I used probably for the first year I started engraving till I developed the graver control to handle a 120.

I would say try the 110' first. Its pretty simple to make. Instead of using a 30' rotational angle for the reshaping and heeling, you will rotate the fixture to 35 and -35 degrees. Also, when you watch videos on sharpening most will advocate a very small heel. For a beginner this can be a problem. I suggest you start with a longer heel on the graver. It'll give you a nice keel to help maintain cut depth.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it shows as a very well developed cutter. as others mentioned, to me it looks about half of a 120. how well does it cut-- that is what counts !

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
it shows as a very well developed cutter. as others mentioned, to me it looks about half of a 120. how well does it cut-- that is what counts !
Agreed, and if your starting that there is easier to control than a 120.

Saludos,
Carlos