help, hand push (universal lindsay sharpening)

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
How to delete the tool drag the out line?
what I do the wrong?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 296

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
I think it happened because the cut was deep but clear-cut with parallel heel, hand push, makes control more difficult.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcelo. you should only need to cut as deep as you can comfortably cut a straight line by hand at first ,Depth will come later after you have better control of your tools. Try to turn the work into the tool and hold resistance with your tool hand. In reality most of your power will come from the hand that you turn the ball with. Yes you will create resistance with the tool hand and that is what develops CONTROL. Good luck and keep cutting!!!!!!

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
I realized that the graver behavior with different heel and parallel with conventional heel. I do not know if this distinct behavior only occurs in the hand push. The lower curves, with the parallel heel, not look nice in my hands startup. There is difference in the outcome when using hand or push air graver?
Thanks a lot.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A poorly shaped graver will act just as bad in a power assist as in your hand. You have to make minor adjustment that fit YOU, The length and angle of the heels are ones that seem to matter the most in hand powered engraving.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have not tried it yet. sam posted geometry for hand push, whereby the face is 10 degrees off axis. this should help with your problem.the side doing the cutting is slightly forward of the other, thus tending to reduce the problem. check it out. let us know if it works for you.

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
After the guidance that was the best I could do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 167

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well- first things first. your scrolls are really pretty consistent in the execution. a couple are a bit off, but not too bad. i think with not too much in the way of practice, you will get to where you want to be. i don't see too much "chatter" on the sides here, but maybe my eyes don't see it. what size is this plate ? as the scrolls get smaller, you'll find your problem will likely become larger. it all takes time, but will come to those who stay with it.

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
Appreciate the attention. The problem is that I can not do a little curve, as one made in a leaf, using the parallel heel. I would like to understand this error.With convencinal heel this problem does not happen.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Appreciate the attention. The problem is that I can not do a little curve, as one made in a leaf, using the parallel heel. I would like to understand this error.With convencinal heel this problem does not happen.

I can't explain it other than long heels are preferable for hand pushing. An exception would be light shading lines that are mostly straight or slightly curved. For those I used a standard heel square graver with a low face and low heel angle. It was not, however, suitable for engraving scrolls. I also cut a lot of shading in hard metals and on curved surfaces with hammer & chisel, but would use a hand graver when possible.

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
One of the most beautiful works I've seen, well cut, clean lines and defined, let alone the shading. I think all they do engrave dream one day do something like you. Could you tell what tools used in this video. "Fine shading". thank you .

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
One of the most beautiful works I've seen, well cut, clean lines and defined, let alone the shading. I think all they do engrave dream one day do something like you. Could you tell what tools used in this video. "Fine shading". thank you .

Thanks Marcelo :)
The graver I used in my shading demonstration video is a standard heel (not parallel) 120° graver with a 45° face and 15° heel. Nothing special. Just the same general purpose graver I've used for many years.

Sponsors