Question: What kind of the Best Metal for Engraved ?

Tomawe

What kind of Metal should I have buying some metal for :fastgraver: :hammer: engraved ? Aluminum ? If yes, what kind of it? Like 6061 ? And What about Stainless Steel ? 416 SS , 304 SS and so on. Please let me know ASAP . Thanks.
I'm a :beatup: Rookie Engraver !

Tomawe

Mild Steel just "Plain Carbon Steel" as Hot Rolled Steels or Cold Rolled Steels:plates,Bars and Angles...... 36A for Sheets.

Those of us in the welding and job shop industry have seen and heard the term just plain carbon steel many times. Is there really any such thing as plain carbon steel? A term used often in the past to describe plain carbon steel is mild steel, a metallurgical descriptor that defines the material's capability for end use.

You must study several specifications to determine if a metal is fit for its intended use. In most cases, the egg comes before the hen. Engineers establish requirements for the end use and then seek the proper material to achieve the desired result.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
mild steel, copper are best in my opinion. such is usually available very cheaply at most scrapyards. aluminum-- i'd not practice with that, without a reason to do so. free machining brass cuts pretty good. if you can't get to a junkyard, grs does sell pre-finished practice plates of mild steel. some varieties of ss will cut nicely, most are (for me) to be avoided. good luck in your efforts.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
I'm going to buy some metals in the store at Home Depot or Lowe's. I hope they have some of their cold rolled steel.

yup should be just good old cold rolled 1018 low carbon MILD steel.....find a machine shop or welding shop and ask for cut off scrap pieces smaller than 5 inches they will probably "give" you some!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
That's Good idea !
Probably I can check with the Machinie or Welding shop asap. Thank you Sanch.

at least at my local yard there are numerous barells of industrial "punch outs" ant what not. most have a fine finish. usually you can get a years worth free or maybe a buck. circles, ovals, squares, & odd shapes. at least around here, such is an ideal size for practice.

Latest posts

Sponsors