Factory Engrave Colt Model 1849

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I thought you might be interested in looking at some real vintage engraving. It is a factory engrave Model 1849 Colt. It is engraved in what is known as the "Cloud" or "Donut" style. The gun was made in 1853. Busy trying to figure out a rough value on it right now but it sure is pretty. Interestingly enough is the fact that there are still three loads in the cylinder that should be taken care of.

Attachments

• IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 361

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Interestingly enough is the fact that there are still three loads in the cylinder that should be taken care of.

Just take the cylinder out and use a ball puller in the proper caliber such as these: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/839/1

You could use either of the two without a brass collar also. Just use a short cleaning rod to screw it into.

I bet those chambers are pretty well rusted but should clean up well with some hot soap and water.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is it possible to use compressed air to blow out the remaining balls?

I have a CO2 outfit to blow out balls that's made for percussion or flinter that works. The trouble is... you might bugger something up trying to hold an air blower or chuck on the nipple.

that is awesome thanks for sharing the example for us to see. guns like that are usually locked away in a safe somewhere and dont get photographed for the internet

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do have some ball pullers being an olde firelock fan and shooter. It looks like someone tried to pull or drill out one of the chambers. What I was going to try first is soak the cylinder in a penetrating oil and then try and gently pull the nipples. The I could push the balls out from the back and not worry about the powder. It's a pretty neat gun though. Been fun closely studying the engraving cuts to see how they were made and from what direction.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How about some closer photos Marty? I always thought those were crudely done but from what I can see there it isn't as bad as I thought.

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice indeed.....I have a later navy colt reproduction that I am going to put that pattern on....nice and in time with the proper era.....

Bob

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bob. It could be an interesting pattern to copy on a repro. With a little pl ning and thought it might be a nice pattern for some beginners to play with. Ther is some liner work in the leaves but not as much as you would expect. The background is single line cut or cross hatch. Not any beacing punches. This style is pre Gustaf Young.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
According to recent research done by Herbert G. Houze, the Colt "donut" scroll, like that on Marty's gun, was engraved by Thomas J. Barlow, who engraved for Colt from 1852 to 1854. Since Barlow only engraved for Colt for two years, guns with his work are pretty rare. Houze's research was unable to turn up anything about Barlow after 1854.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Looks to me that the engraver bent some of the rules on scroll flow that are currently explained on this forum. In his defense, maybe the rules were different back in the mid 1800's. In any case , nice to see the work of the old engravers. Thanks for posting.
Cheers
Don

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don
I think way back then there were no rules....just get the darn thing done and move on. A while back I was looking at a very high end Winchester High Wall engraved by Ulrich. To my surprise I noticed the fine little pig tail scrolls that filled the engraving was stamped and touched up with a graver. Blew me away. I knew he stamped much or his borders but never expected the stamping in the scrolls.

Eugene.......I have no idea on the history for this gun other than it came from the east coast to the owner who is a local collector

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
C'mon, cap em' off & pull the trigger! Just kidding, I would try removing the nipples first & using a punch from behind. ball pullers may have trouble if the cylinders are rusty the screw likes to pull out. the usual load was 15 gr. of 3f w/ round ball on top. dispite what everyone thinks or sez never seen on come apart from firing black powder. this includes originals.

Latest posts

Sponsors