Question: West Coast Engravers Confabulation?

Troy G

Elite Cafe Member
sounds good Brian, and no we have not met but I work with Kevin Schimkes son so I have heard of you.

-Troy

Jshapco2

I would be interested too depending on the date. Not so long of a drive from Southern California.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Never having done this kind of thing, I'm kinda working my way into it by first seeing if ya'all think it'd be a good idea...

Then narrowing down a date. Should it be a straight weekend or 3 days?

Figuring out how to organize it and such.

Scott and Ken have had a few go rounds at these group gathereings. I''ll be starting from scratch if we do this.

Brian
i wish you the very best. this sort of thing is like a family reunion on steroids.the most careful planning, then they show up & there's a ketchup stain on your necktie ! just do your best to enjoy the bash. i have a limited ability to travel, and have never attended such an event. your friends will never pass judgement on a bit of imperfection. if they do, they're not your friends !

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, glad I looked here today. I'm there any time I'm invited or allowed. I'm only 45 minutes away, let me know if I can help with any of the prep. Sounds like a great learning opportunity,,, Yaaayyyy Brian!!!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Yes, it's gonna happen. Update will be posted here this weekend. Three locals so far to help put the thing together. We had the first meeting a week ago.

We'll put you to work too Dave. (that makes 4 now or is it 5? Dunno, but the more the better)

We are looking at either the last weekend in August 28, 29, 30th or the Labor Day weekend - September 5, 6, & 7th...

Leaning towards Labor Day. What say ye all?

Brian

Last edited:

Bob Pearson

You picked the two times I have plans for. Aug 28 is our 50th anniversity and Labor day is all ready taken. Is there any time before or after we could get together for three days. of instruction on silversmithing on western buckles?

Bob Pearson
360-381-3984

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So, we've set the date for the Labor Day weekend... Sept. 5th thru 7th.

FerrousOxide - Rob Scott - will be the "gatekeeper", meaning he will be the one collecting names of those that are coming. He'll put up a list and keep it updated. We gotta have an idea how many engravers are coming? So as to be able to notify the proper authorities if anyone is missing en route... or to raise bail if that turns out to be necessary.

JohnR - John Salmon - is gonna supervise the provisioning - comestibles, liquids and such as that.

Daniel Barriga - has promised to make some artwork available. Not sure what yet. Posters, prints, "T" shirts... sumthin'?

David Gibson - has offered, but we haven't met up yet.

Trini Uriarte - has offered, but again we haven't met up yet.

I will be in charge of entertainment and outhouses... been collecting old newspapers and magazines to stock the outhouses. Carlos carries his own - in the form of dollar bills...

Side note to Bob Pearson and the rest who've asked. Yes, there will be 3 workshops between now and then - and I will let you know the details shortly.

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
STARTING LIST - needs to be confirmed from posts made before the date was set...

Ferrous Oxide

JohnR

Silverchip

Carlos

Dulltool - Dennis Reigel

Lonestar

tsterling - Tom Sterling

Troy G

dhall - Doug

bronc - Stewart

Peter_M

Haraga - Leonard

BJK

kfengraver

Jshapco2

dave gibson

Daniel Barriga

Trini Uriarte

Me, myself and I - will be in charge of "entertainment" and outhouses... any help in that direction will be much appreciated.

If you are willing to help out with a lecture or demo and it might be a PITA to travel with tools - I can supply most of what you might need - - just let me know what you think you might need?

If anyone wants to come on the 4th, to help with setup and last minute details, that would also be appreciated. ESPECIALLY anyone who knows anything about putting these kinds of things on and can warn me of pitfalls I haven't thought of! Or anyone who wants to stay after... and help put the place back together?

Carlos will be scheduled for two demos. A slide show of what to buy and what not to buy and a short demo on drawing...? His buying show/demo will probably be the longest of those presented at the 3 day event. He has also mentioned that he will be supplying free adult beverages and dancing girls at the public park on the corner of my street - after we shut down each night.

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos has also mentioned that he will be supplying free adult beverages and dancing girls at the public park on the corner of my street - after we shut down each night.
You obviously haven't told him about the Biker Gang just up the street from you. He might end up having to engrave some motorcycles to keep from getting an asswhuppin as payment for invading their turf.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yer mixed up Dave...

That's an LDS church hall down in front of the park and they dont usually wear "colors".

However, there is little no-tell motel on the other end of the street that occasionally offers a bed to a lonesome motorcyclist.

Hopefully, Carlos isn't gonna get his dancing girls from there...

Nobody has been shot yet in our neighborhood. Probably because I'm up in north Stockton, not the southern part?

Technically we are in San Joaquin County and everyone who lives on this street IS armed.

There are about a half dozen little "islands" of county like us - surrounded on all sides by the city of Stockton.

We don't want any part of it, but they just about declared "eminant domain" on us a few years back.

Then they went bankrupt and couldn't afford enough lawyers to fight ours...

Hopefully, I won't be around when this little section becomes part of the city!

B.

Last edited:

FerrousOxide

Hi everyone!
If your name is on Brian's list (see below), please send me a PM with your relevant contact info so I can start to organize my list of attendees. If you can't make it, let me know and we'll modify the list accordingly.

Thanks!
Look forward to meeting you all in September.

Rob

STARTING LIST - needs to be confirmed from posts made before the date was set...

Ferrous Oxide

JohnR

Silverchip

Carlos

Dulltool - Dennis Reigel

Lonestar

tsterling - Tom Sterling

Troy G

dhall - Doug

bronc - Stewart

Peter_M

Haraga - Leonard

BJK

kfengraver

Jshapco2

dave gibson

Daniel Barriga

Trini Uriarte

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yer mixed up Dave...
When I took your class, there was a house with a chain link fence around it that sat a fair ways back off the road. It was about a block east of you on the same side of the street. Every day when we walked to lunch, it was full of bikers. We figured that you lived in a "protected" neighborhood.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ah yes, I remember them. One of the "victims" of the recession/depression that never really happened... 'till it happened.

The owner was supposed to be a "landscape contractor". Those bikers were "employees". Remember the smaller house that almost butted up to it? That turned out to be a grow house. This was long before the stuff was legalized.

When the bank foreclosed on 'em - they stripped the place. I mean REALLY stripped the place. Every light fixture, appliance, the pool filter & pump, ripped the the fireplace inserts outta the wall, all the bathroom and kitchen cabinets, the kitchen island, tubs, showers, every single door in the place, HVAC, solar, and that fence too. (It wasn't chain link - it was wrought iron, they used a cutting torch to chop it off at the base)

The reason I know is that is because I ride a bicycle with the dogs in the mornings. I noticed that the fence had been freshly removed - with a torch. And those fancy carved entry doors and half the windows were gone... so... me and the pack took a wander through the premises. It stayed like that for well over a year. Became a regular stop for me and the dogs.

Finally got bought and according to Zillow.com is now worth $432,000. Someone spent $200 grand to fix the damage they left behind. At one time, it was worth $600,000...

Seems like a long long time ago. (would be, if you measured time the way Carlos does) But I'd guess all that happened about 6+ years ago?

The park is on the west end of my street. Well, not really the end of the street. The end in my mind is where the city begins. The road continues by the same name.

To the east it ends at the no-tell motel and the collection of restaurants we generally eat at when there's a workshop here.

Last edited:

FerrousOxide

Hi y'all.... Rob Scott here, keeper of the attendees list. :)
Just a quick note to ask you to let me know if you are planning to attend the Confabulation Labor Day weekend... I'm putting together a contact sheet so I can keep interested parties up to date on any info.

Shoot me a PM with your contact info or just post here and let me know.

Have a great day!

Rob

Sponsors