Carbide Grinding Dust Collector for Power Hone

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Ok, several forum members pointed out that I needed some kind of carbide dust abatement. So, I built a hood for my hone and then the GRS sharpening fixture that I ordered came in. The Grs requires the lap plate be at about 1" above the deck....and the Lindsay needs to be 1/2". Back to the drawing board, the easy way was to machine a aluminum 1/2" lap that I can add to the master lap to give me the needed 1". The hood was then raised another 2-100_5854.JPG 1-100_5856.JPG 3-100_5853.JPG 4-100_5852.JPG 1/2" and all is ok. Notice, the rack on the left side to slide the hood over to change laps. The vacuum is in a under counter cabinet that is insulated and you can only hear a low noise from it...Hope you like this build...

Bob

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
what do you want for that rig ? i'll offer 10k $. looks to have come right out of a nasa lab ! fasanatin stuff.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks like the only things missing are a robotic arm and automatic feed chute for the gravers?

And for Carlos, it needs to sit on top of his lil' fridge so's he can drink beer whilst watchin' it work...

Brian
hahahahahahahahahah good one! im crying here hahahahahahaha

Saludos,
Carlos

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I know this is an old post. But good Lord!
No need for elaborate hoods that still have to be cleaned by hand or vacuum. And vacuum noise, whoa!
All you need is one of those advertising magnetic calendars taped to the case side of the power hone with some shipping tape. They come free in the mail and you can throw them away and replace them when they are loaded with the metal dust they catch.
They are the same useful, free things that I demonstrated many years ago, for this and other purposes at the FEGA seminars.
Just 2 sided tape pieces to some pieces of leather so that they stay in position magnetically in the jaws of your engraving block while setting up parts that need some padding.
They also help when taped to wood blocks or plywood to keep them in place while setting up parts for engraving or for jewelry saw cutting.