Overlaying / damascening question

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I hope I can get you to explain something. I have been inspired by your thread on Damascened pendant, and am trying to learn how to do the overlay / damascened with gold.

My problem is with creating the teeth, that the overlay is done on. I have read in Mr. Meek's book how he used a chisel to create the teeth. I was wondering how you created yours. Can you give me detailed instructions on this please.

Thanks for everyone help on this.
Mike

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike,

I remember watching Fega 60 dvd if I remember correctly Barry Lee Hands shows how he does Damascened he also uses a chisel type graver, you might want to check it out, he also punches out his shapes (talking about the gold leaves for example) no need for a jewelers saw. If you don't find what your looking for here you might want to check out the dvd you can find it on the FEGA website.

Hope this helps

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam, I hope I can get you to explain something. I have been inspired by your thread on Damascened pendant, and am trying to learn how to do the overlay / damascened with gold.

My problem is with creating the teeth, that the overlay is done on. I have read in Mr. Meek's book how he used a chisel to create the teeth. I was wondering how you created yours. Can you give me detailed instructions on this please.

Thanks for everyone help on this.
Mike

Here you go, Mike.

Gold Overlay

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
What kind of jobs would you recommend overlay over inlay Sam?

Showpieces or articles that won't receive wear and tear like a field gun or belt buckle. Overlay isn't nearly as strong as inlay.
Some super thin sheet damascene can be relatively durable because the gold is so thin and doesn't protrude above the surface but a few thousands of an inch. Still, nothing is as secure as an inlay that's locked in below the surface.

Latest posts

Sponsors