Dumb Question

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Forgive the dumb question, I'm sure it's just my lack of computer skills showing thru. But I wanted to watch Andy's tutorial on light painting. The listing is right there in the tips section, and the paragraph where Andy talks about the tutorial, but there is nothing to watch. Thanks for the help.

Todd

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Forgive the dumb question, I'm sure it's just my lack of computer skills showing thru. But I wanted to watch Andy's tutorial on light painting. The listing is right there in the tips section, and the paragraph where Andy talks about the tutorial, but there is nothing to watch. Thanks for the help.

Todd

I think it has been removed from youtube, I tried the link myself. Give me a call Mr. Houghes I have fiddled with it and think its decent....not as good as Sams' but getting better.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks Sam and Carlos. When I go to the tips, the post is there, but the YouTube link is not. Maybe it's my iPad?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

What lens do you use? Ive been doing it with my Ipad just because its fast, but need to start using photoshop, what do you recommend.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam,

What lens do you use? Ive been doing it with my Ipad just because its fast, but need to start using photoshop, what do you recommend.

I use the Canon EF 100mm f2.8L macro and shoot 10-second exposures at ISO100 @ f14.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the Canon EF 100mm f2.8L macro and shoot 10-second exposures at ISO100 @ f14.

I have a rebel dont remember the model, only used it 3 or 4 times brand new, but going to get a macro lens then for it, ill get the model number and see what I can find.

Thanks Sam

Sam

Staff member
Sigma makes a fairly good macro lens with Canon mount and it's much less expensive. I had the 180mm macro. Very sharp but 180 put too much distance between the camera and subject. Great for bugs but longer focal length than needed for engraving shots.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Sam,

Ok, this is what I have:

Cannon EOS Rebel XSi 450d 12.2 mp DSLR with EFS 18-55mm and 55-250mm (what ever that means)

I checked the part number on the page and it says its compatible with my camera, the only issue I could find is that it does not have the L after 2.8 does that make a difference?

I have been doing some research and I see that the 2.8 macro is ideal for low light photography.

What do you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-100mm-Macro-Lens-Cameras/dp/B00004XOM3

Sigma will have to check that out.

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The "L" with it all? :)

If you are going to get serious about photography and Canon lenses... the L series isn't just a status symbol... they are Canon's top of the line lenses. If you are going to stay with a Canon Rebel body, the L lenses are almost wasted on it. Save your money and get by with the cheaper version.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
.. I have been doing some research and I see that the 2.8 macro is ideal for low light photography.

What do you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-100mm-Macro-Lens-Cameras/dp/B00004XOM3....
I'm using this lens since a decade. The only difference (not thinking about the price) to the L-Version is imagestabilisation and waterresistance. Sharpness is exactly the same (only the 180 is better). I compared it with a L-Version a view months ago - my personal conclusion is, the bokeh of the L-Version is very slightly better than the cheaper model. If you don't need waterresistance and imagestabilisation, go with the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens. Further it is very nice for portrait.
I started with an EOS 10D and wanted to stay with Canon (knowing, other brands have fantastic models also), so now I use a 6D (good for stills and landscape - slow compared to others). This one is predestinated for low light - better than any other e.g. the 5D series.

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
so now I use a 6D (good for stills and landscape - slow compared to others). This one is predestinated for low light - better than any other e.g. the 5D series.

I bought a new 6D body last summer and love it. I gave my son all of my non-L lenses. The two lenses I use the most are the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and the EF 70-200mm
f/2.8L IS II USM. I do have several other L lenses also. The nice thing about it is a person can use the lenses for many years and change out the body as time goes on.

Sam

Staff member
Sam,

Ok, this is what I have:

Cannon EOS Rebel XSi 450d 12.2 mp DSLR with EFS 18-55mm and 55-250mm (what ever that means)

I checked the part number on the page and it says its compatible with my camera, the only issue I could find is that it does not have the L after 2.8 does that make a difference?

I have been doing some research and I see that the 2.8 macro is ideal for low light photography.

What do you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-100mm-Macro-Lens-Cameras/dp/B00004XOM3

Sigma will have to check that out.

Yes, f2.8 is good for low light photography, but you'll be shooting from a tripod at low ISO and small aperture so its low light capabilities won't be seen in this type of shooting. Well, almost...f2.8 lenses are brighter and easier to manually focus and that's a big plus.

Latest posts

Sponsors