Scrimshaw: "Engraving on Ivory"

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, I did say "Engraving on Ivory."

This 1911 Government was engraved for first-time client who wanted something that would reflect historical Colt Scroll work. He had studied photos of Custom Shop engraving and wanted 75% coverage with gold borders. He also wanted to do something special to add interest to the side panels. After some back-and-forth we decided to do the gold vignettes at the rear of the side panels behind the Rampant Colt on the left and and the lettering on the right.

In regard to the Ivory grip Monogram: this was cut with my Lindsay Palm Control hand piece set at minimum power setting and "engraving" (not scrimshawing) the lines with a 70 degree graver. It is delicate work, but you can see that it is possible to cut clean fine lines in Ivory. The blackened areas were worked with the hand piece set to a very light hammer stroke and simply stippling the areas before filling with India Ink.:handpiece:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a work that's beautiful to the eye. i think your work is just amazing, a joy to really look at. thanks for sharing this.
just curious-- what sort of prep did you do to the ivory ? anything to perhaps make it cut better cut better ?

Last edited:

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
The ivory was polished to a smooth surface - nothing special there. I did apply several coats of Renaissance wax before I started cutting the lines.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
lovely, Mike! probably my favorite of everything i've seen you do.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike. I missed you at Vegas. I have always admired your work. This is great, so clean looking. Did you have to alter the geometry on the graver any for the ? Jerry h.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
The ivory was polished to a smooth surface - nothing special there. I did apply several coats of Renaissance wax before I started cutting the lines.

thanks. i'd think the wax would make it a bit easier to do your work. a friend got me interested in carving horn. that is until he started about boiling the stuff to make it cut better.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Brian, I agree, leave some breathing room for the gun to express itself.

I cringe when clients call wanting 100% coverage. I've cut 100% before, but that's when I need to fully explore a subject or theme and it takes all available space to do it. I wish I had taken better photos of this gun showing the top and bottom details, but I take my photos under a light tent in natural sunlight - haven't seen much of that around here for the past week!

Latest posts

Sponsors