vacuum for metal shavings

i saw somewhere where this was discussed but of course cant find it now that i am ready to vacuum up all the shavings from my bench area. whats the best little hand vac to get for this purpose?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Funny thing you ask, im planning to make better user of my high speed rotary, but I've always held out from using it to its max potential because of the fine metal shavings that come off, and since my daughters spend a great deal of time with me I don't want them breathing or touching any of that material, I purchased this item to give my shop vac filter extended life.

Here is a video of it in action.

Watch "170 - Cyclone Separator Shootout" on YouTube
170 - Cyclone Separator Shootout: http://youtu.be/-Ct5R6_bj80

And a microphone stand in which I will tape the hose too, to get as close as possible to my vice. Ill post a video when its set up.

Saludos,
Carlos

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
That's an easy one. I have two of those red plastic Royal Dirt Devil handvacs around somewhere, and they make a kit for computer keyboards to get into those tight spaces (vises). One vac I'll keep 'dedicated', as I think you have to something that I can't quite remember to the vac before attaching the accessory kit. One vac I bought for $5 @ an auction, and the other handheld just needs a little fix-it. The vacs are small, and won't take up much under-bench space, at all. For other applications, like a buffer, you'd want some in-place, dedicated hoods & hoses, right at the point-of-use, to keep your lungs clear. Look around at these flea markets @ auctions, as you might stumble onto something with not much money spent. I just happened to get lucky.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i remember seeing something of the sort in a woodworker magazine. made out of a common 5 gallon plastic bucket. it had to have a lid that sealed shut. to work effectively, the shop vac had to have a pretty decent draw to pull in heavier chunks of wood. i don't have a clue how many cfm would be needed to drag in metal shavings.
i use a mini vac that has a canvas bag. just take it to a trash can and shake till it's clean. i don't buy any vac that requires the use of disposable paper bags. i think such. is wasteful. you may get directions on line using the google search. as for a hand held vac, i don't like them either. different things work for different folks. they're certainly cheap enough to see if they work for you. let us know what you end up using.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chemical-Gu...1403440866&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

might go with the above and just use it specifically for the engraving area. and maybe for my jeep.

They make a 4hp version which looks reaaaly nice for automotive use but i dont think i can justify the extra scratch as my jeep doesnt have carpet lol

[video=youtube;3Gg_3HCUYpQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gg_3HCUYpQ[/video]

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If you spend your workdays engraving - no matter what you do, nor how careful you are...

You will eventually find a few chips in your bed, on the shower floor, and sometimes even in your food.

Almost always in your coffee cup.

Brian

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Holy crapola, Brian

Those chips of yours must fire round the workshop like ricocheting bullets!!!!!!......... I've never had that.

In my fingers........yes :)

Cheers
Andrew

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, I got outta the habit of engraving naked long ago... excepting the last time it got over 108F here.

Sitting bare arsed on sharp chips is beyond the call of duty. I don't get paid enough. Perhaps you do?

Sooooo.... if you wear clothes - you are gonna carry them around all over the house.

My recliner is full of 'em.

And the coffee cup generally sits about a foot from where all the action takes place...

Brian

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is why I wear an apron while engraving. The chips go on the apron then when I get up I shake out the apron over a trash can.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I mentioned about the Royal Dirt Devil being kept 'dedicated' at the bench if you happen to find a couple cheap enough. I have to find my stuff, and kit, but, what I think you have to do is remove the belt from your dedicated one so as not to drive the rotary brush that you normally would leave in place in normal use. There is a plastic 'hook' type of tool, furnished, with this handvac, as the belt is tough to get on & off.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian I keep my drink to the right of my work. I'm right handed, so it's natural for it to be there, plus most of my chips go off to the left.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am "kinda" right handed as well... (once upon a time I WAS 100% right handed)

I now engrave with my right arm hanging from the ceiling.

Makes it difficult to get a cup off the bench and up to my face.

My left arm/hand does the reaching for the coffee cup which sits on the left.

Yeah, it may seem backwards - but it is the way it is, these days - if I want to continue to work. And I do.

Brian

Many years ago, doing production work - there was no room for anything but job trays on my bench.

The coffee pot and cups were over to my right on a completely different bench.

Still got a few chips in my cup. But back then they were platinum chips! :)

Last edited:

mfennessy

The end just barely fits through the hole so I can force it through and the top will stay above the bench but I can pull it out and use it wherever I want. It's a really long hose and can reach my drill press, grinders and the other end of the second bench.

Last edited:

mfennessy

I have a foot switch to turn it on. I can put different attachments on it for cleaning up or to suck away fumes when I solder.

Eventually I'd like to build a small shed for the the shop vac outside so the fumes and noise are away from my bench.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors