Announcement: For Beginners and the never ending redundant questions (no offence)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Incidentally, I've added Carlos' post to the Tips Archive for future reference. Thanks Carlos.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I could add any advice to the beginner it would be to spend 6 months here reading before posting a question. During that time research on your own and draw. All the answers to your questions will eventually come to light and if not, by then you'll be more informed on which questions you need to ask in the first place.
This craft requires patience. I used to say the most important tool for a new engraver was a pencil and paper. I think a healthy dose of patience is the first requirement. Then the pen and pencil.
Simmer down Grasshopper!
Layne

Big_Rick

I've stopped hanging out. All of my projects (restoring a C10 chevy, a sportster chop, a sportster hardtail, and a rigid chopper), have all come to a standstill. I've been spending all of my free time in my garage posted up at the bench. What ever little time is left I've been reading the threads here, studying pictures on instagram, watching videos, sleeping, eating, and breathing engraving. All this, and I'm just getting started. I may not be that good, but I'm seeing improvements. I only hope to have a fraction of the talent i see here on Engravers Cafe. Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this amazing resource - Rick

Attachments

• 20150407_013247.jpg
    20150407_013247.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I could add any advice to the beginner it would be to spend 6 months here reading before posting a question. During that time research on your own and draw. All the answers to your questions will eventually come to light and if not, by then you'll be more informed on which questions you need to ask in the first place.
This craft requires patience. I used to say the most important tool for a new engraver was a pencil and paper. I think a healthy dose of patience is the first requirement. Then the pen and pencil.
Simmer down Grasshopper!
Layne

“When the student is ready the teacher will appear.â€￾ :eek:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Somewhere in here should come the admonition about filling a 5 gallon bucket with practice plates - before scratching up perfectly good firearms and knives...

Almost never happens, but man the difference it makes when a student or hobbyist takes that extra time!

Brian

Maybe Shawn would be the one to ask how many sketch pads you should fill? (Again, even fewer people will DO this)

Latest posts

Sponsors