Shading a large leaf?

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
I did a practice plate of a magnolia bloom with a couple leaves on it. It a standrard 2x2 plate an I really butchered the shading of those big objects
I'm embarrassed to post this picture but I need to know how to do it right.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
bloom.jpg ok, I would guess this is the original picture.
One thing that I can tell you is graver control it will come with practice, I improve everyday don't get frustrated. Your shading lines need more consistency in spacing each should be evenly spaced (as best you can) and don't cut them that deep, your shading line should start as if it were an airplane landing with its rear wheels first and then ever so slightly landing its front wheel.(I hope this makes sense), how you hold your graver then doing your shading also helps for control, for main lines I use finger on top method and for shading I use the thumb on the side method (see search button for reference), I see some of your shading lines in one leaf for example heading off into different directions look at your original picture it does not do that. Just my two cents worth Im sure other will chime in. Good Luck

For your rope border, first cut a shallow outline around your practice plate the width of your flat graver (important) that will be your guide from which you will start your cut and roll to the outside of the plate, this will help with width consistency.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors