Home made "power hone"

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
I made this power hone out of readily available materials. The frame is made from 1/2 copper pipe. The motor I got from "the bay" for about $35, it is 1HP 1750 rpm and is a 4 speed. I thought it might not be fast enough but I use the lower speeds way more than I do the high speeds. The deck is made from a cheap, but flat, cutting board. It is mounted with bolts so I can adjust the height. I use the Lindsay system so it is set at 1/2 inch at the moment. I got the motor shaft adapter for about $10 and the aluminum master plate for around $20. The laps are $12 each and they are very good for that price. It works great, especially for the price.

Attachments

• power hone 001.JPG
    power hone 001.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 239
  • power hone 003.JPG
    power hone 003.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 235
  • power hone 002.JPG
    power hone 002.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 235

Dirtdigger

That´s great! Thank you for showing it!
I have been thinking of making somekind of power hone for my sharpening and i think i got couple of ideas from your hone!

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
I'm no electrician, but I hate to see exposed electrical connections on equipment.(Shock hazard). Also you might consider a shroud over the motor, the open housing will allow grinding dust to enter the motor and may shorten its life. Just my 2 cents.
Cheers
Don

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ya. too much chance to ruin the motor and yerself as well. that is rather nice, i must say.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
I have a contraption that attaches to it that catches the dust, with it on the machine it is hard to get a good photo to where all the machine can be seen. I have been "bit" by the capacitor a couple times, that makes me stay alert.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
JOEYS,I like your sharping set up :thumbsup: I did the same thing with a drill press,keep experimenting. J.J.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks J.J., I seen your setup for the drill press also. I like that too. The height of your laps on the drill press are a lot more easily adjusted than mine, plus you have the drill press when not sharpening. If/when my hone goes dead I think I am going to go the route of the drill press sharpening system like yours. I have a GRS power hone also, a friend is borrowing it at the moment. It's an older one.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice little system! I'd cover those electrical connections though - probably an empty plastic container with part of the side cut out. You could use another plastic container to shroud the motor - something like an empty tub of snacks or something.