what can be done to make the Crocker work better?

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
I have had one for a long time but never messed with it. They appear to be a dual angle device like the GRS but nobody seems to like the Crocker. Anyway this is what I already have so can it be made to work in these modern times or did they just work good enough to do outstanding work back in the day?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Not true at all.

The Crocker can be tweaked into a VERY useable tool in a number of different ways.

I don't have time this morning, even probably this week to explain.

I think I did this already in an earlier post, if someone can find it?

Brian

Think about the possibilities this tool offers... for a very economical price and some simple changes anyone can make.

Or don't. But do not condemn it out of hand unless you have actually tried these changes.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
They make great decoy weights if you're a duck hunter.

Actually they can sharpen gravers and have been used for years. I have 3 or 4 of them but they're for display purposes and I've not spent much time sharpening with them. We tend to dismiss them and joke about them but it's all in good fun.

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I'd add the use of a simple machinist's protractor to help with repeatable angles. The links that dogcatcher and mdengraver look like good "hacks" to help with the usefulness of the tool. It's a "mixed blessing" tool, in that it has infinite adjustment possibilities, which is too many to be practical. You can reign in some of those adjustments and get good, repeatable results. One option would be to always have the tool extend a fixed distance from the front end of the tool holder. You'd have to play around a bit to dial this in, but it might help simplify some of the setups. The efficacy of a lot of these suggestions would depend on how your mind works, or which method seems to make the most sense to you. For me, a few angles jotted down and a protractor would make sense, and the next step might be some angled gauge blocks you could snug up against the tool as you are making adjustments. Anyway, you can certainly get good results with a little effort and some judicious tweaking of the tool.

Good luck,
Doug

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Use an empty brass cartridge case for the repeatable length "spacer...

This tool can be made far more useful than a template. Think about it.

Or don't.

For those short on funds they can be incredibly useful when "upgraded" and used with a cobbled together homemade power hone.

B.

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Makes sense to me Brian. Some here want new folks to buy their way to whatever level they want to get to. I wonder how many could have been engravers 40 years ago without all the fancy tools. Why not just buy a CNC, it is easier and faster leaning curve lol. Years ago I saw a little kid in Mexico doing some killer engraving with a stone and some type of graver that I think might have been made from an old file. Someone forgot to tell the kid he needed 4k in tools first I guess.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
where there's a will there's a way H & C is fun and not doing this to make a living makes it even more fun no stress make your own stuff it can be done!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If you're sharpening square gravers, using this method is pretty simple and it won't get much cheaper. I sharpened this way for nearly 20 years.

[video=youtube;dGg_EwRToLU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGg_EwRToLU&feature=plcp[/video]

Flat gravers are fairly easy to sharpen by hand without guides or fixtures.

If you're sharpening a V-graver that's other than square, then a fixture will make the job a lot easier and more accurate unless you buy pre-shaped 120s, etc.

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Ya Sam I've watched your videos a ton. Thank you for them. I have seen the article on reworking the old Crocker system. We did reconsider doing some work on it.

Sponsors