Blowling ball vise or import ball vise to get started

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Trying to use our resources best I can to get started. Im sure the cheap ball vises on ebay won't have much favor here but are they better than using that small jewelers vise on a blowling ball? I do intend on getting a good vise at some point but would rather put my money into the machine and other areas first.

Dirtdigger

I have a bowling ball wise and i think it´s best one that you can get for free! (or allmost free if you dont have all the parts laying in the corner)
I´m using painters masking tape roll under the ball and on top, that was cut off, i bolted old small machine wise i had laying around in carage.
It´s a bit large, but works well and for hammer & chisel work it has enough weight to keep it from moving.
Go ask for broken ball from your local bowling alley and try it, there´s nothing to loose and like you say theres plenty of better places to spend your money in the beginning!

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Several years ago I made a bowling ball vice for woodcarving, now when I dabble in engraving I just switch out the lathe chuck for a machinist vise. The lathe chuck and the vise I already had, the cost was the bowling ball, $5 at Salvation Army Thrift Store, less my 15% senior citizens discount. I cut it by hand with a handsaw, wrapped a piece of tape where I wanted the cut and went to work. Hint, find a steel rod to slam in one of the holes, you can then clamp it in a vise while cutting.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i made one many years ago. i later got the real deal. i still have the bowling ball vise. i like to use it for large plate engraving.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
I use a 5 inch 3-jaw chuck that goes on a lathe. I found a lazy susan bearing for about $3 on "the bay" to go under it. I can clamp my handheld cheap vise in it also. It works great. I made this other "ball" vise. It is made from salsa bowls with the legs cut off. It rides super smooth on a bearing that I got out of an old VCR. I filled it with BB's. I mixed the BB's with an epoxy so after they were in place they wouldn't roll out . It is heavy and works well. I glued some rubber around the top of a pet food bowl and used it for the base. I have an old bowling ball if you want it, just pay to have it shipped to you. With the bowling ball you can epoxy a threaded rod in the hole and screw on a cheap top to one of those hand held vises.

Attachments

• vises 002.JPG
    vises 002.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 152
  • vises 001.JPG
    vises 001.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 155
  • vises 003.JPG
    vises 003.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 153
  • vises 005.JPG
    vises 005.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 153

vikkiwillis

I just love everything about this DIY set up. Can't wait to head to thrift store in search of broken crap to repurpose. Thanks for the inspiration. Not so sure I'm handy enough to saw my way thru a bowling ball. What type of saw does that take?

Dirtdigger

I sawed my bowling ball with normal carpenters saw. It´s not too hard to do. It will help if you use WD40 or some other oil to make the blade slide better.

Latest posts

Sponsors