For those of you that have or have had a few different systems

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Dad of 3, welcome to the world of engraving. I know this site has an overwhelming amount of information, but it can be easily searched. "Starting engraving on the cheap"..."What vise"..."Bowling ball vise"...all of this gets asked about every two weeks. Please have a look around and I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for. If you are serious about engraving you might just go right down the thread list, read a few a day and take notes, it's all out there.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
GraverMach AT because I like to instantly switch from foot pedal to palm operation when I want to. I'm also a biased GRS user/teacher/product endorser :cool:

DAK4442

Elite Cafe Member
I learned on GRS equipment. I purchased a Lindsay Classic...with the following caveat: I can easily achieve the same quality of engraving with either system. The reason I purchased the equipment I have is that I could only afford to buy one unit. My jewelry workshop and my flintlock workshop are separated by a storage room. I do engraving in both locations and figured with the Lindsay system, when I need to change workshops, It would be easy enough to disconnect my air hose and walk my hand piece and pedal to the other room and just re-hook to my air source...best of luck...Dan

Andrew Biggs

I'm with Jerry and Sam..........GraverMach AT. Although I would also be very happy with a GraverSmith as I have used them a lot demonstrating.

It does everything I need it to do and then some. From hard hitting metal hogging through to fine delicate shading. Hammering, inlays, sculpting, carving, texturing, stone setting and anything else I can throw at it..........it's all about controlling the tool with your eye/hand and foot pedal for the power (I prefer the foot pedal)

I also like the QC collet system that clicks into the sharpening holders/adaptors and hand pieces. It makes for quick sharpening and tool orientation. In other words, it's a versatile complete system that works well and is quick and easy to use.

Like Jerry, I haven't found a negative side to it :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
don't be fooled by the very cheap knockoffs available. one likes to buy them, as the price is a real bargain. more than enough people soon find the bargain price was a bargain to the dealer that sold it !

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Seriously though Dad of 3, this subject is like the proverbial dead horse that still takes a whipping. There are a lot of helpful folks on here but in the past these comparisons have at times turned a bit sour shall we say, kind of a Ford vs Chevy type of thing. So, if you don't see 2 or 3 pages of replies next time you check this site, that could be why.

Not one person means any harm by short answers or no reply, they've just gone over it so many times you see. I think it's helpful to ask and answer as well so you know some of the reasons why people chose what they chose. To that end I'll chime in on this as I haven't done it in a long time it seems.

I started with the Gravermeister, I didn't like it because it was too loud but I know guys here that used them for over 30 years and cut masterpieces with them. I next got a gravermax and it worked well. At the same time I also had the Lindsay Classic and then the PalmControl conversion to my classic to rid myself of the foot pedal. Not long after I acquired the Artisan that Lindsay sells that has no stroke length control, it is an entry level handpiece. I decided to use that for stippling and my PalmControl for everything else.

I sold my gravermax and a Gravermach I had to use the money toward a better vise I think, been years ago. All that to tell you that all these choices were just due to preference and what felt best to me and my hand. I've never used any of the other brands so I can't speak for them. However, either of these companies make excellent tools and have sterling customer service so you cannot go wrong either way. Try em' all if you can like we tell everyone who asks this question, then make the choice for yourself. Good hunting.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The problem seems to be mostly in finding a place where you CAN try them all.

Side by side... with or without all the bells and whistles. And the sharpening systems and engraving blocks - also side by side.

If you are in or pass through north central California, you can do it at my place - with a few days notice ahead.

Brian

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray Cover is mobile right now but when he goes back to where he's from, (Festus, MO) I bet he'd let this fellow try em all out as he carries both I think, for his classes. He may have an Enset as well but I'm not sure.