Question: Lindsay tools

midmo9236

I am looking at the three makers of engraving tools and am having a difficult time making a decision. I am not sure what comes with the Lindsay hand piece, inthe online catalog it on shoes the hand piece and no control box like GRS or Enset. What kind of control does Lindsay use or is it a foot control and the hand piece? I do like the sharpening templates and with the help of Ray Cover showed me a very inexpensive hone to use. I am starting from scratch and. the intial outlay of cash is pretty high so I am trying to find ways of saving some cash. This might sound like a dumb question but really do not know anything about this except I am going to learn.

mobaiz

I'm also a beginner and I researched for a good 2 months before I made my purchase. I decided to go with the Lindsay classic with palm control because it doesn't need a big box taking up space, no need for foot control, the warranty was a year longer than the other 2. Plus the numerous engravers I've spoken to have all recommended the Lindsay. When I got my classic delivered. Set up is easy and you control the graver with the pressure of your Palm. It's very responsive and all the adjustments are right in the handle. Its a bit pricey but we'll worth the investment. All will do the job but Lindsay for me does it a little easier. I hope that helps.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks like you've decided on a lindsay, the regular classic requires the foot control with gauges. Small foot print and cheaper than the plamcontrol. Palmcontrol as stated earlier does not rerequire the (box / foot control) you should contact Steve on his website he usually replies right away.

I use foot control with double regulator, but I also own a GRS set up, and that has its own benefits for example stippling, inlay is done with the maestro hand piece just a breeze to use and non hand cramps.

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I am looking at the three makers of engraving tools and am having a difficult time making a decision. I am not sure what comes with the Lindsay hand piece, inthe online catalog it on shoes the hand piece and no control box like GRS or Enset. What kind of control does Lindsay use or is it a foot control and the hand piece?

Lindsay handpieces don't require a control unit. They are self-oscillating so no box is required to deliver the pulses of air.

I am starting from scratch and. the intial outlay of cash is pretty high so I am trying to find ways of saving some cash.

I'm not very familiar with Lindsay's and Enset's offerings, but I do know GRS equipment well, and I advise my students who are trying to save money to get the GraverSmith and 901 handpiece. That's a few hundred dollars less than GRS higher end machines, and I can produce the same quality work with GraverSmith as I can with the GraverMach AT. I'm sure others will provide Lindsay and Enset savings advice.

You will find plenty of engravers who will recommend engraving systems from each of the three companies you're considering, and you'll find plenty of world class work done with each brand. If there's a way to try before you buy that would be great.

mlk67z

hello,
I have an Artisan Airgraver of Lindsay, and I'm a stone setter , for setting is not nice because sometimes I need more power and cant give me, ,where I work I use Graversmith with 901 and have all power I need, but , for engraving I think is better than Graversmith and 901 my opinion is Artisan work more accurate than 901 , any way I want sell my Artisan because for my work (stone setter) is not appropriate.
If you want only engrave you can think Lindsay classic too because you can regulate length of strokes too, I try one time Lindsay Classic with Palm control and I find it very natural working.
Best wishes

Olcowboy

Hello Midmo, I recently purchased a Lindsay Classic foot control with the gauges. I have used a Gravermeister in the past and in my limited experience the Lindsay Classic is the way to go, I also have found the sharpening systems from them to be very easy to use , especially for a beginner. Whole set up was just under 1500 with the sharpening set, gauges,foot control and Classic. The Palm Control I know is more and from what I hear it is amazing, however cost kept me away from that, as well as I had experience with a foot control. Just my two cents

delder

Elite Cafe Member
I have both and use both. I have found that when I do Bright Cut, I prefer the GRS system with the Magnum handpiece. Even with the larger piston the Lindsey palm control doesn't seem to be able to provide the power I like. That being said , I use the Lindsey for pretty much everything else. Both are top notch systems which ever one you go with.

Michigan Dave

Hi, If you are interested in selling your Artisan, I would like to buy it. My mail is daveradtke1@ comcast.net

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some time ago Steve Lindsay did a comparison of the actual cost of starting from zero and getting to engraving with both his system and the GRS and they work out to just about the same. That's one of the things I like about him - it would be easy for him to gloss over the fact that the regulators and foot control (if needed) are separate pieces with his system. I haven't seen anyone do the same with the Enset but I would be surprised if it were significantly different in price.

I'm fortunate to have both Lindsay and GRS systems (would love to have an Enset but the resources just aren't there). You can get more power out of a Lindsay with the heavy piston but I do think folks are right - the GRS just seems easier to get to thumping with. Of course, if you're focusing on a handpiece that works more like a hammer it sounds like the Enset is the one.

Just helping you 'narrow' down your choice. :rolleyes:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Midmo,

Have you looked at his tool site to see what it comes with? If I were looking at any tool from any manufacturer, I'd exhaust myself reading everything I could on the subject and Steve has a lot of info there to help anyone make an informed decision between his various models and their capabilities.

Sam pretty much covered it as far as operation goes.

Latest posts

Sponsors