Benches and studios

Gordon

Gordon- How do you get up close to your vise & scope? My vise is on a 'tongue' extension shelf on the front of my bench and pretty much sits in my lap. Your set-up makes my back hurt just looking at the photo...
Haha, Your observation is absolutely correct, Mitch. My bench set up is woefully far from from being otimal, and as you've correctly surmised, does indeed, cause me back and neck discomfort. I do not yet have funds for a turntable/satellite stand as I've very recently bought all the pneumatic gear and scope. I'm just getting back into engraving after being away from it for 10+ years. Back then, I did only hand-push, (a lot of wriggle), using only super-strong reading glasses for magnification. I'm slowly find my way into "modern engraving" techniques & tools with the help of many people here, chief among them being Sam Alfano who has been extremely generous to me in many ways. As much as I'm loving having a microscope now, it's totally obvious that it presents a new problem: keeping work centered under the scope. So my next piece of equipment will be a satellite type stand of some sort with a revolving turntable.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
The Australian version of a tornado hit my bench!
Combination bench for engraving , clock repairs and everything else. There is another similar one in an outside "studio" for the bigger machinery. The scope setup etc is used for many uses and is adapted for engraving as required. Picture shows setup for engraving/ sculpting a jade panel. I promised my wife it would all be tidy by Xmas.(Ho Ho Ho)
Rod
Adelaide
South Australia
This looks a little like home too me

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
What a great thread. At some point I'm going to want to set up a proper work bench and there's some wonderfull ideas being presented here. Thanks to everyone that has participated. As for me, I have two. One in the basement where I engrave and one in the garage where I build guns and do a little bit of engraving. As much as I hate it, I seem to always be working in a perpetual state of chaos.:eek:[/QUOTa lath what I wouldn't do forone.

RA40

Enjoyed viewing these set-ups! Many years back we'd been to Jim Martin's shop and he had used a pneumatic cylinder to raise lower his vise. Gil Ruldolph's set-up was equally nice. I wish I snapped pic as my memory is fuzzy after all these years.

Last edited:

dbeck

This Is a great thread! Does anyone have anything new to add? I find that looking at peoples setup really helps me with mine. I am looking to move my operation in the house and there are a lot of really clever solutions. Its hard to stay motivated when its 115 in the shop. That new electric hand piece sure sounds good for housework!

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 146
  • bench1.jpg
    bench1.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 148

Louisklein

I’m no finish carpenter but it works great!

Attachments

• E783CBF3-86CB-4ED6-9AD2-F243B34974CA.jpeg
    E783CBF3-86CB-4ED6-9AD2-F243B34974CA.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 150

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
I’m no finish carpenter but it works great!
Looks great!

I would advise to make something to stop the Hone from spraying your walls :)
Maybe a small bucket. And cut a hole in the bottom for the arbor/spindle. And remove 1/4 or 1/3 of the front so you can have access to the sharpening discs with your Apex angle thingy.

If you want to get real fancy I have seen some nice solutions on this forum. Where users had a suction device attached to their powerhone

Louisklein

Looks great!

Maybe a small bucket. And cut a hole in the bottom for the arbor/spindle. And remove 1/4 or 1/3 of the front so you can have access to the sharpening discs with your Apex angle thingy.

If you want to get real fancy I have seen some nice solutions on this forum. Where users had a suction device attached to their powerhone

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks great!

I set mine in a cardboard box, surrounding everything except the front. I don't use it that often, but if I'm sharpening a lot of gravers I sometimes get a little dirt on the front of my tee shirt.....wife keeps reminding me I HAVE AN APRON! ( I apologize for the loud words, but that's what she sounds like when I mess up another good shirt.)

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
My bench has evolved over the years, first bench was about working in a "shop" away from the house, hard to heat/cool and manage overall. Second bench pic, moved the bench into the house, easy to heat/cool and manage, feels like moving from the dungeon to the palace.

Attachments

• bench1.jpg
    bench1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 149
  • bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors