Benches and studios

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Come on Abigail, give the poor guy a break.;)
I call it disorganized genius.

Mine tends to fluctuate. I usually give things a good hosing down about once every other month but it can get pretty trashed at times.

Ray

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Man I like this thread! One of my favorite pastimes is snooping around other peoples shops and gathering ideas I can use to recycle the junk I collect.
It just naturally fits this Scots nature.
Revised Junk, I really like the U shaped layout, thats a very efficent set up.
And I sure could use a view like you have out the window.
The one part of the creative process I have mastered is staring off into space with a bewildered look on my face.

CUTTING METAL

I made my vise stand from an old dental chair that I modified by using one of the hydraulics and disabling the other. Removed the chair and mounted the control switch under my engraving table for ease of operation. After some trial and error I got the length correct on the extension from the base so that the vise is now very stable while I engrave. I am very happy with this setup and can get my microscope focused with just the touch of the hydraulic control button.

Happy Holidays and keep engraving!!!!!!
Dick Sheehan

Attachments

• my engraving bench.JPG
    my engraving bench.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,318

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Dick: I remember talking to you about this dentist chair setup. Are you saying that the mechanism is precise enough for focusing?? That's amazing if it is. That really is one cool setup!

CUTTING METAL

Sam,
That is correct - I can focus very clearly as the movement is that slight.
If I move the vise up a little to high - I just touch the control button and the vise will lower depending on how long I hold the button. The button works in two directions - up or down. I just love this setup.

Dick

graver2006

The Australian version of a tornado hit my bench!
Combination bench for engraving , clock repairs and everything else. There is another similar one in an outside "studio" for the bigger machinery. The scope setup etc is used for many uses and is adapted for engraving as required. Picture shows setup for engraving/ sculpting a jade panel. I promised my wife it would all be tidy by Xmas.(Ho Ho Ho)
Rod
Adelaide
South Australia

I notice that the clocks on the wall are not in TIME or not working lol you must have all the time in the world... :)

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Well after fighting with this machine to post a picture I may have won the battle. Ifffff my work bench shows up here. Yes success at last! Hey this bench is crude but it works.

Now if I just can remember how I did it. ????

Attachments

• Work Bench (Small).jpg
    Work Bench (Small).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,285

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dick,

Glad to see you made a dental chair base work so well! Great minds think alike! As a practicing general dentist I've been waiting for one of my old chairs to go belly-up for about one year so I would have the excuse of needing a new chair and relegate an old one to my garage "studio". I was concerned that the base would be too large to fit under the work bench but it looks like you had no problems.

Hmm... maybe if I accidentally spilled some bleach on one of my old chairs...

Thanks for the inspiration.

Mark Sedlak

CUTTING METAL

Mark,
You remember the old saying: "Try it, you'll like it." Just add an extension coming out from the chair base so you can move it under the bench and get leg room under your vise. If you have any problems, please feel free to contact me and I will see if I can help you out.

Dick

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
Bench in process

View attachment 1669

It's slowly getting glued together and I kick my self for not doing this a long time ago.
Drill stands rock and let the scope do more range of magnification. Gotta love that centering table for free.

Comfortable as all get out once you get past the shock and pain of hauling them down to the basement.

Think this may also give you a clue as to how many foot pedals it can take to be a carver and this is just 1/8th of the room!

The fun part is the lappy toppy in the back hooked up to skype, this mornings treat was listening to Rod Cameron and one of his friends give me a mini concert - when they should have been workin they were pickin. Tis a fun toy. We are setting the proggies up to switch from cam to cam around the shop through the scope and what not.

It would be cool if all here would give up the arguing and we just have some fun till we get old and die. Imagine a couple of hundred wacko engravers on webcams.:)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,080

msar24

Used one of my welding tables with a few modifications. Not as nice as the drill stand but it is adjustable. (needs some painit to look pretty).

Attachments

• BE 001 (Small).jpg
    BE 001 (Small).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 897
  • Bench 2.jpg
    Bench 2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 791

Th3Punisher3323

I'm new to engraving, but I knew that if was going to be spending a lot of time doing it that I wanted a nice studio. We had a 12x12 particle board room on the side of the shop that wasn't being used so I decided to do a little makeover.
Before

After

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candy2728

Magnus~

This is a wonderful setup. I hope you won't mind if I adapt some of your ideas for my studio.

Thanks!

Candy

Gordon

My bench is in the dungeon....er, I mean, basement. I need to add one last piece of gear, a turntable of some sort.

Attachments

• DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 106

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gordon- How do you get up close to your vise & scope? My vise is on a 'tongue' extension shelf on the front of my bench and pretty much sits in my lap. Your set-up makes my back hurt just looking at the photo...

Sponsors