Will someone post a Magnagraver video

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Seems the only negative thing I ever hear about them is the cable. Well I deal with the cable all the time with my Foredom pendant drill with little to no issue already. Really would help me compare all the systems. The Magnagraver has been sold for years yet I can't find a single video anywhere. I know several of you guys have them so please just a few minutes of your time would really help.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was debating with myself whether I should post a comment or not... and, here goes: I think the reason why you can't find a single video anywhere on the whole Internet that features a Magnagraver is because nobody that seriously gets into engraving uses one. I think there are plenty of them chucked into drawers that were used for a short time and discarded. It doesn't matter what a person gets into, you can't go wrong with buying quality tools that work. That's why you see almost everyone using the GRS or Lindsay tools. You only have to buy those once. It's cheaper to buy a tool that works. :confused:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
O.K. I'll bite the bullet! I started with a Magnagraver several years ago. I too, was quite used to a Foredom and the cable entailed, as I was into Wildfowl Carving on a competitive level. At the time I bought the Magnagraver used, I had not yet met the inventor and wonderful gentleman Ray Phillips. It is because of Ray, that many have started on the road to engraving. It is also because he is so revered in our community that few negative comments are ever said about the Magnagraver. This being said, my personal experiences with this tool were not totally favorable. Yes, it does engrave metal fairly well. Some really great work has been done with it, but there are some drawbacks. It is large, square and somewhat cumbersome to operate. The cable does restrict you movements. I found it difficult to do fine, subtle line work. But the problem that finally sent me to GRS, was the vibration of the tool. I found it very uncomfortable after longer sessions. It may be a great introductory handpiece for some but frankly I would start with a used Gravermax if cost is a factor. Remember, this is only one mans' opinion and there are undoubtedly many engravers out there that love this tool.

Sponsors