First piece...

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
OK finished my 1st inked it with sharpie marker cause it's what I had, all comments welcomed and as you can see I have no clue what the heck I am doing other than moving forward :hammer: I can't rotate the dad gum thing !!!:mad:

Attachments

• 20150227_202124-1.jpg
    20150227_202124-1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 205
  • temp.temp_taken_picture.jpg
    temp.temp_taken_picture.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 200

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if bizarre was your intent-- then i like it. reminds me of one of my relatives !

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
From what I know, looks like the cutting is "forced" too deep like the tool was diving and dull. spacing of shade lines is erratic and don't flow. While this is a valiant first attempt bulino should be considered well after the basics of cutting are familiar to you imho. No disrespect meant imho you need to practice your basic line set and check you tool for proper geometry.
Don't be discouraged, my first practice plates look the same.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Here are my thoughts for what they are worth.
1. I like the way you conveyed a look of sadness in the eyes.
2. I wonder what is going on inside of Sanch's head.LOL
Thanks for posting and keep them coming.
Cheers
Don

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
From what I know, looks like the cutting is "forced" too deep like the tool was diving and dull. spacing of shade lines is erratic and don't flow. While this is a valiant first attempt bulino should be considered well after the basics of cutting are familiar to you imho. No disrespect meant imho you need to practice your basic line set and check you tool for proper geometry.
Don't be discouraged, my first practice plates look the same.

Your critique is appreciated, the "tool" is not dull and my geometry is from what I have read and researched correct the spacing on the shading lines is I agree erratic. This piece is done in H&C and with an optivisor may be that can answer some of the "erratic" shading lines also I agree that practise is what I need as far as "discouragement" that doesn't happen to easily with me..as far as your BLATANT DISRESPECT sir that was not even considered YOU did NOT BASH me you helped me THANK YOU! as far as considering "Bulino" one of the aspects of this art something I should wait to do? well I did I considered it something i should attempt and if it was something I can develop along with my cutting of lines then I will only be better as I progress. The material is a "machining brass" type unknown but it feels very "crunchy" in comparison to 1018 mild steel or copper. chisel geometry looks good under magnification (the 60x side of my jewelers loupe) so I have to say inexperience is my biggest challenge. Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement!

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Here are my thoughts for what they are worth.
1. I like the way you conveyed a look of sadness in the eyes.
2. I wonder what is going on inside of Sanch's head.LOL
Thanks for posting and keep them coming.
Cheers
Don

Don, Thank you for the kind words the "look of sadness" was a success thank you this piece was something that I decided on as it is in spirit with some of the art I do a little on the gloomy side. The story behind it is in short, Halloween last year we (the family) dressed up as the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse with a "Mexican" twist our faces were painted as "Sugar Skulls" this was taken from a photo of my wife (who was famine) that I modded into BW. She was "sad" cause it was so cold we were barely able to take our sons "Trick or Treating" needless to say we had a great time! Thanks again for the kind words!

Last edited:

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
if bizarre was your intent-- then i like it. reminds me of one of my relatives !

Monk as always thank you for the "colorful" way you put things LOL! I guess you could say "Sugar Skulls" are bizarre "El dia de los Muertos" is a celebration for the dead afterall.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Your critique is appreciated, the "tool" is not dull and my geometry is from what I have read and researched correct the spacing on the shading lines is I agree erratic. This piece is done in H&C and with an optivisor may be that can answer some of the "erratic" shading lines also I agree that practise is what I need as far as "discouragement" that doesn't happen to easily with me..as far as your BLATANT DISRESPECT sir that was not even considered YOU did NOT BASH me you helped me THANK YOU! as far as considering "Bulino" one of the aspects of this art something I should wait to do? well I did I considered it something i should attempt and if it was something I can develop along with my cutting of lines then I will only be better as I progress. The material is a "machining brass" type unknown but it feels very "crunchy" in comparison to 1018 mild steel or copper. chisel geometry looks good under magnification (the 60x side of my jewelers loupe) so I have to say inexperience is my biggest challenge. Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement!

Sanch, I speak your language. I cut H&C and still use an Optivisor.I sharpen by hand,like Sam sez in his hmmr & chisel tutorial, (he demos sharpening by hand) you don't get precise flats but it does get the job done.You are correct about the brass, it can be filthy to cut the "crunch" is from inclusions. Practice on mild steel or red brass if possible. attaching a belt buckle partially done. comment welcome.

Attachments

• metalsmithg (4).jpg
    metalsmithg (4).jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 129

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
Sanch, I speak your language. I cut H&C and still use an Optivisor.I sharpen by hand,like Sam sez in his hmmr & chisel tutorial, (he demos sharpening by hand) you don't get precise flats but it does get the job done.You are correct about the brass, it can be filthy to cut the "crunch" is from inclusions. Practice on mild steel or red brass if possible. attaching a belt buckle partially done. comment welcome.
nice job on the buckle next practise piece will be scoll work on 1018 so maybe there will be some notable difference. and my scrolls will get to be critiqued also!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Monk as always thank you for the "colorful" way you put things LOL! I guess you could say "Sugar Skulls" are bizarre "El dia de los Muertos" is a celebration for the dead afterall.
it is a strange design. i was referring to the concept. i meant no comment on the cutting of the piece. few if any, brag much about their cutting when they are learning. the difficulty is there are no magic cranks to turn, no hi tech buttons to push. it's all in your head, your eyes, and your hand. not always easy to get the 3 concepts to coordinate.

Latest posts

Sponsors