Inlay beginner post follow-up

showidaho

IMG_3910.jpg IMG_3912.jpg IMG_3911.jpg Apparently, I'm not technologically as savvy as I thought since I can't for the life of me figure out how to upload photos into an existing thread. My apologies. So...these are the photos that go with my gold inlay thread. Thanks to all who are bearing with me on this.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
While it can be done, those are not the best combination to be starting out with.

Try putting the copper wire into steel at first.

There are way too many kinds of brass, and some can be equal or close in softness to copper.

You need a harder metal as your base when learning.

Brian

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Beathard, I'll take 50' of each in 20 ga.
I'll send you copper wire in it's place.
Thanks !

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lol... 26 guage .999 fine silver is 34 cents a foot. Thats less than 3 cents an inch. Why work in harder materials?

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
24k gold is less than $3 an inch. So a practice plate border will run less than $24 I. Gold and less than 24 cents in silver. Plus as an added bonus customers usually wont pay for inlaid copper.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rio Grande... I'd start moving towards 24 and 26 guage as quickly as you can. 18 and 20 guage gold inlay is expensive...

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A) With my current finances I can't afford to spend $24 on a practice plate.
B) Gold is around $3 / inch but copper is much cheaper.
C) If you can do it in copper than gold is easy.

So for practice copper is great. Beyond practice the only reason to use copper instead of gold is because you have an artistic reason to use copper.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Okay. Great. My smallest flat graver is a 37 is that too wide for those gauges?

Show, a standard 37 flat graver has a 0.40mm width at the bottom, matches up well with 26 gauge wire ( also 0.40 ). A 38 flat is 0.60mm which is close to 22 gauge wire at 0.64mm. You need to be careful not to go too deep with the flats because he sides are not parallel - the top is wider than the bottom and the cut can be a little wider than the stated graver width.

Good luck with the inlay.

Regards,
Gary

Latest posts

Sponsors