Inlay Tips for a beginner

showidaho

I took Sam's class a while back and we did learn to inlay on a practice plate. While mine was NOT great, it is at least 10 times better than anything I've tried since. I can not figure out what I'm doing wrong. I bought dead soft copper and brass wire (I know that gold is the easiest metal with which to work, but I'm so terrible that it would literally be a total waste at this point). My inlay looks lumpy and if I attempt to smooth it it changes the look of the surrounding metal and the edges are still mushroom looking even when flat. Is there a video or a tutorial? I"m at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong. I realize I need to practice, BUT when I look at the one practice plate I did in class I know I'm doing something wrong. Thank you for any advice.

Mrfinks

I know this isn't my thread but If I could maybe post some photos of a project I have, perhaps the advise given could answer both of our questions.

Like OP I'm a beginner too, I have carved out the channels ready for gold inlay into a ring I have made. I'm fairly sure I have done an okay job but this is the first time I have done this and I have no idea what I am doing.

anyhoo just let me know

showidaho

Please don't laugh...I know how horrible it is. The steel plate is the one I did in class and the brass plate is the latest example of how badly it can go when you don't have a clue. I am having a hard time getting a really clear photo of the horrible one, but I think the hack job is pretty evident?
[/IMG] The upload obviously didn't work...let me try again.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Post some pictures to start, the responses might vary as there is more than one way to inlay Gold, just an FYI. Go to Brian Powley website he used to sell a video on how he inlaid gold and priced right won't break the bank, he does mention that he did no editing and apologieses for it, but in my opinion its perfect the way it is, you can see how a Master Engraver addresses problems. Just my two cents worth.

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

showidaho

Thanks to all who are following and attempting to help - you may change your mind after seeing the photos and tell me I'm beyond help, which is the way I'm thinking. I'm using a square graver to cut the channels and dead soft 18 gauge wire. I know it's not the wire's fault since it was much better when I did it in class with a copper wire...so...any ideas?

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I saw your photos on the other thread, Like I said, if you need to spend a little time with some one with experience, give me a call and we can get you on the right path fairly quickly.
P.M. me if you think it would do you some good, Dave

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Save the brass wire for when you're hating yourself - brass work hardens very quickly.
Copper work hardens faster than you'd think so you have only so long to get it right.
24K gold does work harden, but it takes a bit so it's lovely to inlay.

Some suggestions, partly from having looked at the other thread and partly just in general.

If you're getting a burr along the sides of your line your undercuts are pushing in / up too much.

Try to match your wire to your cut - too small a wire and you don't fill the line, too much and you've got wire sticking up. Better to be just a bit too much than too little.

You can shave down the excess with a flat graver - run it almost parallel to the surface and use a light touch. For a graver that should only cut the inlay and not the surface make a flat 'graver' from brass rod (I use an old wine cork for a handle for mine, thanks to a thread here). The brass flat will cut copper and gold but not steel.

If you wind up having to use abrasives over your inlay you're (probably) changing the surface finish of that area. You're either going to have to polish it to match the rest of the piece, or change the rest of the piece to match it.

For a simple line inlay I like a trick I learned in a class at GRS. I'm certain there is more than one thread discussing this here in the forums. Basically, cut your line with a flat graver of the appropriate width. The straight up sides help hold in the inlay. To lock it in you cut teeth along the bottom. When you finish cutting the channel just take that same graver and work back along the channel cutting single teeth into the bottom. Don't cut them so deep they stick up to (or worse, above) the top of the channel. Space them a bit more than twice as far apart as you think they should be. Once you get to the far end of the line, turn around and cut a second set going the other way (that's why the double space on the first set). When you're done the bottom looks kind of like this: / \ / \ / \ / \ It's quick and works really well.

showidaho

Thanks guys! I REALLY appreciate the tips! Yes - I'm pushing the graver up too much!

Silverchip - I would LOVE the help and you are so kind to offer, but I'm in Bozeman, MT so I think it's a bit of a hike. :)

Latest posts

Sponsors