poor casting

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
I took in a order to reproduce a Navy tie tack in 14k and a ring to engrave a sort of Maltese Cross on. Gents nugget ring. I knew it was a cast item due to some casting flaws still present. I took the job in at a good price for a little wiggle room in case I needed to laser weld some pits where the cross was going. After about an hour lasering and stone'ing the top down i engraved the cross... Things went to crap. Several cavities opened up that under my microscope looked like a bottomless pit!! to make it worse the gold was flaking away in some of the areas I was cutting on. I'm guessing the gold was not fluxed very good befor casting but I had to back up and punt the ball! Ground a few thousands off the top and cut a new plate for it.
here is a couple after pics

What is yals opinion on cast rings? I bid the job at $350 an I feel like I am still ok since the customer had some scrap gold with us that I used for the plate.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Probably should've insisted on putting the plate on from the get go...

Unless I have cast it or know the quality of the original maker - that's the only way to be somewhat sure of the outcome.

And I STILL don't like working on cast material, not even my own!

Brian

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
it has been a learning experience at least... My gut told me to put a new plate on it from the start an I tried to chance it... Shoulda listened to the gut!

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Not being one who is experienced in gold casting, in the least, I have enough experience in foundries to know that any casting, from tons to fractions of ounces, can look like Swiss cheese. This is why I'm reluctant to take anything in like this, and I've only made plain signet rings, a couple, out of stainless steel, from the solid. If you can find and keep a couple of pieces of real garbage on hand, to show customers, they'll understand what they might be in for, and they should expect to pay accordingly should there be problems. I wouldn't think of any other way to suggest to a customer that you're not going to 'hook' them, and stuff can happen. That would help your credibility, too. It's just a suggestion, from a non expert.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
one could also expect the gremlins to show if you engrave plated items. i don't know about gold, but silver, & nickel plating ( even on high end items) can go nicely, maybe till the job is nearly finished. and then maybe flaking will occur. when this happens, your profit is gone, maybe your religion, and a very difficult phone call to your client!! i don't do plated items without the customer seeing an actual example of what can happen. the rest is on them.

Sponsors