What graver to cut fine llines?

johninok

Hi, Im tryin to do some more detailed stuff, want to cut some nice thin straight lines on a pair of gal leg spurs. What graver should I use? I currently have 120, 105 and 90 degree gravers, but cant seem to get the line im lookin for. I want to cut a deep but narrow line in the stockings. Thanks for any help. edit, I dont use a microscope, just usin a #7 visor.

Andrew Biggs

Your line thickness is dependent on your cutting depth and width of you graver. In theory, a graver cutting deep can go to the width of the graver face. Naturally there are certain limitations to that like graver breaking etc etc.

All of the above will cut thin lines. For instance, a wide graver (120) with a shallow cut will give you a very thin line.

For a deep thin line I use a 90 square graver and narrow the face right down....again, there are limitations to that and I would advise several passes because the graver will be weakened because of the narrowing.

You could also try a smaller graver such as 60,70 or 80 but they are very weak at the front end.

Cheers
Andrew

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
John,I like the onglette graver for fine lines and great for shading and animal hair.I sharpen the onglette by hand. J.J.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carl Bleile has a Deep Line Graver template for the Lindsay sharpening system. You could probably come close to it by grinding a blank very narrow vertically and then making it a 90 degree graver. Keeping the vertical height should strengthen the graver. Don't forget to grind the front end back some for vision and clearance.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i can't imagine cutting with a face of 90 degrees. must be a bugger to do that.

Latest posts

Sponsors