GRS 003 Dual angle sharpening fixture

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Ok Folks After reading all the positive comments on the GRS. I ordered one to see what it's all about.....I have a large selection of Lindsay templates, although I really like them I decided to compare the two systems to see what works best for me.....

Bob

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
so, you're gonna compare ballpein hammers to oranges ? actually i'd like to hear your results. i think in the long haul, the grs proves to be more useful. the lindsay would likely win, would win-- if you only used 1 or 2 geometries. will your study include the diamond systems offered by both companies ?

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Having used the GRS Dual Angle fixture, and Lindsay templates I have laying around, I say they'll both do the same work. However, you can 'tweak' the GRS fixture, a degree or two if necessary, while the Lindsay system would require the purchase of other templates if you absolutely cannot live without some slight degree of difference. The Lindsay templates would be a faster way to go, as there's no adjustment, and they're fool proof. The GRS is more versatile, but slower to be adjusting. As for my own preference, and not to slander another's fine and simple product, I prefer my GRS Dual Angle.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Monk,

You cannot eat a hammer, and hammering with an orange will give you nothing but orange juice! Not comparable at all.

I would say it'd be a bit more like comparing brands of cars, red versus white wine - or if you want to use fruit as an example - how 'bout apples?

Zuccalmagios versus Shizukas? For hammers you could compare different brands of hammers that produce the same or similar result when used as intended...

The result of comparing the systems is simply gonna be that there are certain advantages and disadvantages to each of them.

That's called reality in my world. Everyone has their own reality and should be allowed to explain and discuss their personal experiences.

If not here - then where?

And ALL of the diamond laps regardless of brand now originate in China - so you'd have to be comparing Chinese lap manufacturers...

Brian

P.S. The post above this one of mine (by Ron Spokovitch) is a perfect example of what we should hear(read) about!

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When it comes to comparing systems of different makers on this forum or most any other for that matter, I seriously doubt if we will hear honest and unbiased opinions. In my opinion I think it depends on what you intend to do with the tools and how much a person wants to spend etc. - etc.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Well, not that anyone asked, but...

I have come to use 2 main setups on my own bench. Depending on the type of graver.

The now discontinued Hammler/Lindsay and the GRS dual angle. (What can I say, I like the post systems)

Once in a great while I use 2 of the Lindsay templates.

All of the systems from the Crockers, to discontinued/experimental models, to those just released are in the classroom. I have plenty to choose from.

Those are my personal choices. And that's it.

Is that unbiased and honest enough?

Brian

And I have tried the GRS EasyGraver - and would probaly use it too - if it came in the 110 or 115 degrees that I prefer from old habit...

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I know Brian doesn't like the QC holders from GRS, but with the new round shank gravers in appropriate sized holders and the latest QC adapter for the Dual Angle fixture, mounting gravers in the Dual Angle is now plug & play as opposed to trying to make them fit the jaws and having to compensate when one was clamped a few degrees off (talking about flat gravers...square shank were never a problem).

I would still like to see a refresh of the Dual Angle fixture.

Oh, and I'm not claiming to be unbiased. Everyone knows of my association with GRS which is in its 17th year. :happyvise:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
I use the Lindsay temples on my Power Hone,made a block of wood 3 3/4'' + 1 3/4'' krazy glue brass to it a it is 15/16 high works for me. J.J.

Andrew Biggs

What Sam says.

With the EasyGraver fixtures, the dual angle sharpener with the QC adaptor I can sharpen any configuration I want.

The QC adaptor is a very handy gizmo for all your traditional scorpers (flats etc) as well. Set them up, square them off and you are good to go.

The onglets I use for under cutting gold inlays are sharpened the Alexander Siderov way, with the yellow wheel.

Cheers
Andrew

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Interesting comments on this thread. Although, I do think, if I was going to, I would give an honest appraisal of the two systems. I really have nothing to gain by not being honest. I think I opened the thread with " what works best for me " that's it...I am buying the GRS system just to see if it together with the Lindsay templates will help me down the mysterious road of accurate sharpening.

anyways......He who dies with the most tools wins...
Bob

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the Lindsay temples on my Power Hone,made a block of wood 3 3/4'' + 1 3/4'' krazy glue brass to it a it is 15/16 high works for me. J.J.

JJ,

I do the same with the wood never thought of the brass top, might have to try that.

I have both, I mainly use the Lindsay, just foo proof, but if i want to get 12 facets on a point if im using it by hand or 6 facets if im using a handpiece for scrimshaw dual angle fixture hands down wins that race, each has its positives and negatives, I just think you should own both, just like both engraving systems GRS and Lindsay both will get the job done, can only speak for these as they are the ones I own.

Sharpening station is behind me in a corner, gets me off my ars and stretches the legs.

BOB,

Brian has more tools, but Im going for the title, there's no room for a third contestant. This a mano a mano showdown.;)

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Carols,I also use my drill press with Carl Bleile's mandrels with diamond sharping laps for sharping with Lindsay's temples great way to convert a drill press into a power hone. J.J.

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Well I though I could beat you after collecting tools my entire life since I was 16, but I bow down. Theirs no way I can even come close to that.....

Bob

Latest posts

Sponsors