Scrimshaw: need a substitute for bone scrimshaw material

AlanGravers

I am trying to find a more economical option than ivory/bone pieces....you'll see from the pictures what I'm trying to accomplish....the stuff I have been using is hi density polyethylene, but it's still too soft for my engraving machine. Any ideas what would be a harder material? Thanks. IMG_0876.jpg IMG_0877.jpg IMG_4684.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
any knife makers supply company sells different types of micarta, and maybe other plastics. i've done a very limited amount of this work. some of the stuff is laminated and looks quite a bit like the real thing.there's an advantage here-- the stuff has no grain to it and works much more easily than does the real thing.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
tagua nut..
tho can't see getting much cheaper than bone..
if your polyetholene is too soft for powered carving, have you tried it not powered?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
tagua nut..
tho can't see getting much cheaper than bone..
if your polyetholene is too soft for powered carving, have you tried it not powered?

polyethylene, nylons, and other soft specie of plastic have what i call a"greasy" feel to them. i doubt paint or pigments would survive very long on these softer plastics. they simply have no real way of bonding to the surface.

Sponsors