Bracelet Forming with Ball Hitch and Hammer Question

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i use a few trailer hitches for all my bracelets.. big one gets the most mileage, i forget the size exactly..
also this is all silver and gold bracelets .8mm up to 1.3mm, whatever that is in gages.
ecspecially on wider bands i will preform the centre part of the dome in a wood or lead black with a bowl indent. i do this because my ultimate dome does not conform perfectly to the shape of the hitch, but comes in ever so slightly more as you work your way towards the edge. if i try to create that hape entirely through forming on the ball, i will punch out two domed humps running the lengthe of the bracelet... this can be worked out, but i want to smack this bracelet the absolute least number of times.
i use a rawhide mallet.. i have carved the one face into a slight concave.
as stated the adeal would be to form the bracelet, then carve it.. but i usually carve then bend.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
@ mtlctr - I might weigh 155 - 160?

Kinda resemble a beanpole...

Not useful to me - or the two 100 lb. women in the class where we tried to use it.

B.

Gotta lean on it dude. could use a cheater bar as well. Or use both the 100 lb. women at one time. LOL.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos, the lead shot filled rubber mallet works fine... we've used one for over 40 years... it IS your money though.

Doming not only makes the piece stronger, if done "seriously" (high) it makes the ornamentation somewhat more visible from more angles.

After you've gotten rich from this stuff you can get yourself a commercial 50 ton press and hire elves or whatever to bang the stuff out.

While you sit by your refrigerator and watch...

B.

that bangin' out takes the starch outta ya too.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I beleive a 250 pounder could easily bend the bar that comes on it.

It has to be relatively easy to use for anyone. It's not. In MY opinion - having bought one and used it for one class.

Shawn's mileage obviously differs...

The principle works, and if it was built heavier, more massive and with longer leverage - I mighta kept it.

Looks cute though, and a lot of people buy it...

B.

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My grandfather was a blacksmith and I inherited his... 'delicate' build. I have no trouble with the GRS bender forming most things. I did have trouble bending some Ti that's about 1/16" thick.

I got Diane Scalese to show me how to use the thing - she was teaching in the other classroom at GRS. She taught me that the key is to take very small 'bites' - advance the blank just a little at a time. The heavier the blank, the shorter the step.

But I'm willing to bet this in one of very few things that works better for me than it does for you Brian.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Forgot to mention the bracelet bender I made. Two tonne arbor and ball hitch ... Plus wood sapping block with radial edges rounded. But the arbor doesn't cling to the tail of my truck as well as the hitch does.

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Since Carlos likes gadgets.... had some spare time a couple years back and raided the scrap yard behind the barn and came up with this contraption, not that great as a screw press so to speak, needs a bit bore farm yard engineering for that but works works well as a bracelet bender.

Lots of times I still use a hitch ball...... wonder how a hitch ball and trailer hitch works..... load the trailer with about 3 or 5 roping steers and lower it down on the ball..... anyone willing to test my theory ;)

Peter

P1060428.jpg

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
I beleive a 250 pounder could easily bend the bar that comes on it.

It has to be relatively easy to use for anyone. It's not. In MY opinion - having bought one and used it for one class.

Shawn's mileage obviously differs...

The principle works, and if it was built heavier, more massive and with longer leverage - I mighta kept it.

Looks cute though, and a lot of people buy it...

B.

not meant to be a do all bend all tool. Bending that bar would take some and one must know the limits of what he/ she is using and not abuse the tool. all in all, always more than one way to skin a cat. If I use the bender or not depends on the job. chips on the floor.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Carlos,

So much stuff goin' on in the real world... I sometimes forget what I promised to reply to.

Went and looked the HF deadblow hammers. They'll work. Only thing is - there's a seam from molding left on the faces that I would sand off. Dont HAVE to do that but it would irritate me and take a coupla years to wear off.

Cost is from $7 to $14 depending on weight. All would have their uses, depending on how you felt when you got up in the morning...

You could buy the whole set of 4 for less than that one BD hammer. And still have enough left to take your wife to A VERY NICE dinner.

@ mtlctr - it is cute, but to me it's not a useful tool - as it is currently. With some meat on it, I'd have kept it, like I said.

Brian

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
@ mtlctr: <"I can see you're an educated man.">

45+ years of doing this stuff and still doing it - probably speaks for not being very smart?

I wonder about that a lot these days...

But, I AM practical. If it works to MY liking - I use it. If it doesn't - I don't have time or patience to baby my tools these days.

Personal preferences and experiences always vary.

You are not gonna change mine, and I would never try to change yours.

Nor bring your level of education into the conversation.

Lack of respect and manners would be another thing though...

B.

Last edited:

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Carlos I don't think this has come up but, if you want to bend circles in heavy gauge anything check out the bender in harbor freight. I have the heavy duty one and it bends 2 inch by 1/8 mild steel easy....I've had mine over 10 years and haven't broke it yet...I have not bent bracelets but it seems like once you have a circle, making it elliptical would be rather easy with a rubber hammer... I have bent polished stainless without damage to the surface by putting heavy tape on first.....I leave scrap on one end because of the where the friction block grabs the material.....The dies are 1" up to 3".....Just my thoughts

Bob

Sponsors