Bracelet Forming with Ball Hitch and Hammer Question

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok, Ive been doing research and I have some questions, I would like to form a bracelet im currently engraving for my significant other (wife) have to make that clear.

I see there are many ways to do this some more expensive than others Potter former, Bonny Doon Former, but I also read you can form the bracelets with a ball hitch, the key factor is not to damage the engraing, but I came accross this hammer that does not (according to them) damage the engraving) I like the fact that it seems to give it a feel for hand made (and I like that), I do not do many bracelets more like one a year, what are your opinions here is a video of the hammer in use and a link to the price? What size of ball hitch do you recommend? If someone want to get rid of a bracelet former let me know.

There is a 7oz and a 10oz weight, 10oz is used in the video.

I was thinking of using it with one of these to hold in the vise.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-20037A-...8&qid=1424791889&sr=8-1&keywords=3+ball+hitch

Video

http://youtu.be/AirE6tuMF5s

Tool

http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Bonny-Doon-Urethane-Forming-Hammer/110903?Pos=4

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The GRS former is in my opinion pretty useless...

We had one, and it would take a 250 pound guy to FULLY form a 16 gauge bracelet. (which is what we make 'em out of - NOT 20 ga. tinfoil))

Even then, I'd suspect a 250 pound guy would bend the bar before he got the job done?

You missed out Carlos. I had one in the classroom for all of about a week - sold it right after the first time we tried to use it in a class.

Brian

If you go the trailer hitch ball route, you will probably have to change your attire & vocabulary to that of the more typical redneck :)

(I can say that - because I've been told I AM one - more'n once)

Find yourself a lead shot filled rubber mallet/hammer. $90 for the fancy hammer is a bit out of line for an occasional bracelet...

Last edited:

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
You might consider a harbor freight urethane dead blow hammer at 1 1/2 lbs at $7.00...or their rubber hammers to see if it will work for you....$81.00 seems a little steep....I notice some people use heavy body tape to protect while forming....

Bob

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Or just buy one hitch ball and some thick rubber or urethane sheet.

Borrow the heaviest vehicle you can find.

Jack it up.

Stack the rubber with the silver on top. Use a horseshoers anvil or piece of railroad iron for the "spacer" underneath it all.

Add the ball on top of everything and let the jack down. Weight of the vehicle will do the work.

Might take two guys to get it done. One to jack it up and lower it.

The other to hold the beer and try to keep his fingers outta the way as he centers the ball for each press...

Brian

I've also seen it done by using a concrete wall and using the pickup truck bumper as the press.

Best not to involve beer in that one. Also takes two guys.

One to drive the truck at the wall.

The other to get his hand mashed, so the driver can take him to the hospital...

These are not redneck jokes! I have actually seen these things done. (and no, I was not one of the particpants - I loaned 'em my anvil in the first event and I was holding the beer in the last event)

Last edited:

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
or just use thinner material, I've made 100's of bracelets engraved & not if the bracelet is domed it greatly increases the strength. most ladies putting on a cuff bracelet slide it over their wrist and it doesn't really get much abuse. I have the Grs former and find it works pretty fair. I do weigh over 250 though.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I actually have a ball hitch welded to a corner of a steel bench just for that purpose. it is horizontal in orientation and is 1-7/8" dia. after starting to dome it , it will be finished on the hitch ball using a hard urethane or plastic hammer to remove any kinks or ill placed bends. I also built a bender a few years ago that ain't to bad either!!!! I think it is posted here somewhere for reference.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos, What I did to bend my bracelets, was to make a tool out of two 1 inch dia. pvc pipe. What i did is cut two 6 inch sections and lay them on top of each other like figure eight. Then come in one inch on the ends drilled holes through them that a carriage bolt can go through them to hold them together.
Then get 1x1 piece of wood 8 inch long and drill holes so carriage bolt can pass through. Now put bolt up through block into the pipes so they are stacked on top of each other secure with wing nut. Put the block in vise and feed the bracelet in between the pipes a little at a time and keep making small bends up. Works great very cheap to make and wont damage your bracelet. good-luck ZZ

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I actually have a ball hitch welded to a corner of a steel bench just for that purpose. it is horizontal in orientation and is 1-7/8" dia. after starting to dome it , it will be finished on the hitch ball using a hard urethane or plastic hammer to remove any kinks or ill placed bends. I also built a bender a few years ago that ain't to bad either!!!! I think it is posted here somewhere for reference.

Where did you get the urethane hammer? Does it conform to the shape when you strike the bracelet? How does your engraving hold up?

Thanks

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
831-thickbox_default.jpg
Carlos, What I did to bend my bracelets, was to make a tool out of two 1 inch dia. pvc pipe. What i did is cut two 6 inch sections and lay them on top of each other like figure eight. Then come in one inch on the ends drilled holes through them that a carriage bolt can go through them to hold them together.
Then get 1x1 piece of wood 8 inch long and drill holes so carriage bolt can pass through. Now put bolt up through block into the pipes so they are stacked on top of each other secure with wing nut. Put the block in vise and feed the bracelet in between the pipes a little at a time and keep making small bends up. Works great very cheap to make and wont damage your bracelet. good-luck ZZ

Like this right, I had seen exactly that I was just wanting a little dome shape to it, but I might just go that route.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, the lead shot filled rubber mallet works fine... we've used one for over 40 years... it IS your money though.

Doming not only makes the piece stronger, if done "seriously" (high) it makes the ornamentation somewhat more visible from more angles.

After you've gotten rich from this stuff you can get yourself a commercial 50 ton press and hire elves or whatever to bang the stuff out.

While you sit by your refrigerator and watch...

B.

Last edited:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well Carlos, when I engrave something it don't rub off with your thumb!!!!! Usually done in western brightcut style and fairly deep, it holds up well.I think I got the hammer at a hardware store for about 20.00.....

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
The one thing I would say is that you may be unexpected results when you bend your engraving. I bent an engraved piece once, and it lost much of it's sparkle. Of course, that could have just been me.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Yep, that happens when you stretch metal...

A purist would engrave whatever the item was - AFTER - it was formed and finished!

But that's generally too much like actual work - and it takes quite a bit more SKILL to engrave compound curved surfaces.

B.

Righto, Brian -- Pierce, engrave, bend just didn't work at all. Gotta first bend, then pierce, and then engrave.

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the grs bender.
i can form 14 gauge with it.
i also have a bonny doon press.
you can use a bracelet forming stake.
there are a few different ways you can shape a bracelet.
the one thing that i had trouble with while using the grs bender. was forming a bi metal like sterling over nickel ....16 gauge ....it won't bend thT stuff.

You can shape 14/16 & 18 gauge without any problem

Latest posts

Sponsors