eleven ideas for engravers.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
An undecalogue of canons to observe in the engraving arts. . .

1. Never engrave tomorrow what you can engrave today.

2. Never outsource a process, if you can do it yourself.

3. Never spend money before you have it; try not to take deposits.

4. Never buy a tool you don’t need because it is cheap, what you don't need is expensive.

5. Time costs more than gold, diamonds, or pride.

6. You and your client are never sorry you engrave too much, only if you engrave too long.

7. Nothing is tedious when you love to do it.

8. Don’t worry about mistakes until you have made them, and you usually won’t make them.

9. Do it the fast way, it usually looks best, especially once you know what you are doing.

10. When angry or frustrated count to ten before continuing your work, if very frustrated, count to one hundred.

11. The best is never expensive, but is always an excellent value.

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
An undecalogue of canons to observe in the engraving arts. . .

3. Never spend money before you have it; try not to take deposits.

If I were making this list, I'd put that as number one. I've seen several world class craftsmen destroy their businesses and their lives doing that. It becomes a death-spiral. Sort of like an airplane that loses one wing. One guy that comes immediately to mind was a world class gun leather maker in Tombstone, AZ. It ultimately ended in a sort of Ponzi Scheme and he took money from hundreds of customers that never got their goods. :(

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I always get a deposit when it comes to the drawings that how I can tell if the customer is serous and not wasting my time. J.J.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ditto on deposits. 1/3 up front, so at least i'm not out the cost of materials, if i get stuck with it

Andrew Biggs

Good advise, Barry

Deposits can be dealt with easily enough.........I only take the deposit when I am ready to cut the work (within a day or two). Then the job is worked on till completion. Not before. This ensures that there is no delay between paying and cutting

If you start stacking the deposits up then you are destined for trouble.

Cheers
Andrew

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm with Andrew on taking deposits; take a deposit only for the next job and work on it exclusively!

Bill

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
If it`s a job where I have to lay out my own cash for materials, i`ll want a deposit to cover that much..otherwise if I`m supplied all the materials & it`s just a time thing, I`ll want paying when done but before returning (unless It`s trusted long term customer).

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
None of these are hard and fast, but as to deposits, I have never been in a difficult position NOT taking a deposit.
To each their own.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Sometimes upfront deposits actually put people off, so it really does depend as you may actually lose an otherwise decent job because of it.
The customer needs to feel comfortable with that & trust is a two way thing...

Latest posts

Sponsors