Greenshot – Capturing Images for Engraving

Hi,

I thought I would share a short tutorial I wrote up for capturing images for engraving examples.

Greenshot is nice tool to capture images. If you don't have a scanner this will let you capture images. It can do a lot more such as optical character recognition, etc. If you want the OCR there are extra steps you will have to follow on the Greenshot website, I won't discuss that here. It does work very well and is accurate. I use it to extract plain text from pdf image documents.

The nice part part is the convenience of simply hitting the "Print Screen" key anytime you see something you want whether you are out on the web, in a pdf document, etc. It will capture anything you can see on the screen.

As mentioned in the tutorial, zooming in helps. The easiest way to do that is by holding the "Ctrl" key and rolling your mouse wheel.

The price is right - Free.

You can do a Google Search for Greenshot and then install it. http://getgreenshot.org/

This tutorial will focus on getting images of pdf files like the ones that are in Google Books into the image editor of your choice.

I will use the free Ebook “Guide for Drawing the Acanthus” as an example.

Search for it on Google Books.

• Download and install Greenshot
  • Once installed you can simply hit the “Print Screen” button on your keyboard to bring up Greenshot.
  • The “Esc” key will close it.
  • Open the pdf Ebook “Guide for Drawing the Acanthus”
  • Once the pdf is open find an image that you want to capture.
  • Hit the “Print Screen” key.
  • You will see a crosshair on the screen with a magnifier. I personally don't care for it, you can turn it off in the Greenshot preferences if you wish.
  • Zoom into the image until it mostly fills your screen. This will improve the screen capture resoluton.
  • Draw the box around the area you wish to capture.
  • When the dialog box pops up select “Copy to clipboard” or “Save As...”, etc.
  • If you chose “Copy to clipboard” you can paste into you favorite image editor. If you chose “Save As..” then you can save it and open it later.
  • I chose the image on page 147 as an example.

pg147.jpg

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Matt

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i don't have time to fiddle with this now, but will latter. i think a lot of folks will find this to be quite beneficial. tyvm for taking the time to share this.

Greenshot has more options for editing, saving, etc. I especially like just pushing the "Print Screen" key when I want to capture something.

I think either is good, try Greenshot, I think you will like it.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What about shift+command+4 to screen capture anything on your screen.
No ocr... Is that missing any of the other function of the software?

I'm not advocating folks quit using what they like.

I have no connection to the program it just made things easier for me personally.

Regards,

Matt

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Matt I tried it and I like it better than Snip.....One thing is that ( save as ) never gave me a chance to place in a folder it just put in in my desktop....maybe I have to do something else to get it to go where I want it to go....
Bob

monk

Staff member
once on your desktop, you should be able to click & drag into a folder ? no ? i got tired of fighting, so i switched in december-- got a macbook with the digital hd. parallels allow me to do coreldraw. best of both worlds. do you know if this would run on a mac using parallels ?

monk

Staff member
actually-once one gets used to doing things just a bit differently, it's pretty much like windows. it is a much more stable platform. at least for me, far fewer problems. the color & res are too good to be true. i'm going to check it out-- needed info is likely on the site.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
actually-once one gets used to doing things just a bit differently, it's pretty much like windows. it is a much more stable platform. at least for me, far fewer problems. the color & res are too good to be true. i'm going to check it out-- needed info is likely on the site.
Jay,

please let me know how it goes I'm also on a Mac with parallels, i also agree on your mac comments, its my first mac but not my last thats for sure.

Saludos,
Carlos

Sponsors